Thread: Bt Bband Take Down Notice !

Good ol BT, called yesterday to request an upgrade from 512k to 1mb, no problem I was told, it will be active in a weeks time, the line seems ok, although we will carry out tests on the line and let you know if there are any problems. Later that day an Engineer called to ask if he could come out to the house to test the line for compatability, I declined saying, not at such short notice.

So this morning I received 3 BT letters in the post (must be new contract details? lol) and this is what it says:

It has come to our attention that IP pools is the service provider for the IP address listed below, from which unauthorized copying and distibution (downloading, uploading, file serving, file "swapping" or other similar activities) of Universal's motion picture(s) listed below is taking place. We believe that the Internet access of the user engaging in this infringement is provided by IP pools or a downstream service provider who purchases this connectivity from IP pools.

This unauthorized copying and distribution constitutes copyright infringement ....blah blah blah.
    We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts towards this common goal.

Very truly yours (lol)

Internet Anti-Piracy Team,
    Worldwide Anti-Piracy Operations
    VIVENDI UNIVERSAL ENTERTAINMENT
    100 Universal City Plaza
    Universal City, CA 91608
    [email protected]

Title: Bring it on again
    Infringement: Bit Torrent
    Timestamp, IP , etc etc etc

It's too much of a coincidence that I received these 'BT headed' letters this morning. I don't trust them anymore, even though they have an obligation to report any 'piracy' activity.

I'm basically gonna ignore it, as I don't get many movies online anyway.
    I have a reasonable understanding of the Internet, I use Zone Alarm Pro, I've tested for open ports etc, basically I thought my ass was well covered.

I've had this type of letter before and I just ignored it, but that was 5 years ago using 'Kazaa' when I used Freeserve as my ISP.

Anyone else had a similar problem ?

Also what better preventative measures can I take in future ? If any.
    ABIT NF7s--Athlon 2800--80gbMaxtor--41gbIBM--1024DDRpc3200--PowCol9800XT--Pioneer106DVD/RW--PlextorCD/RW--SonyDVD

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    yes, I've had 3 such letters in the last couple of weeks from BT, I just remove the movie that they are complaining of and carry on sharing the other 120+ movies that I have

No matter what protection you have, your computer still has to send your IP address out otherwise you wouldn't get any downloads

The only possible way of staying anonymous would be to use a remote proxy server

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    *Grunt*
    BT have been presured by the government as being the first and formost telecomunications provider, they cant let their reputation fall.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    BANNED
    so ur saying they can see what ur downloading

i download 2 films a day
    i only just got my net 4days a go
    i dont want any letters