Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Wit My Computer Urgent

Poster
    im at my friends house but my computer is messed i have win xp pro 128 ram 400 mhz computer and wen ever i turn it on the lights for data and hd read cum on then the light stays on but the computer doesnt turn on or anything help me please

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Get the six "start up\boot disks" for xp from microsoft and see if you get some life then.

ps.
    have you recently changed your display settings?
    have recently plugged in a different monitor-projector?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Did you mess up with your registery or something
    run a repair installation of win xp if the solution provided by (Zedaxax did not work. Please give more info next time
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    see my cd rom or floppy doesnt work i didnt mess with my registery keys and my montior is fine its just that wen i turn on my computer the tower part turns on its lights then just frezzes i think it has to do wit my bios any help now

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by neotheone@18 March 2004 - 22:35
    see my cd rom or floppy doesnt work i didnt mess with my registery keys and my montior is fine its just that wen i turn on my computer the tower part turns on its lights then just frezzes i think it has to do wit my bios any help now
    you messed with hardware, such as OCing or lpayin with bios?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Well with the information you gave me im not sure but you can look in your manual for your motherboard on how to reset your cmos and it will reset any messed up setting in your bios if you set something wrong in the bios. Usually its close to that small battery on the mobo, but it varies and if you cant figure out were it is you can remove and put back that little battery on the mobo but make sure your careful.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    i had a similar problem and thought it was the h/d , but it end up geing the cd rom had crapped its self,

try this , unplug everything except the hd and floppy drive , pull out all your pci cards , so all you got is the motherboard and the h/d and floppy

see if it restarts then , if it does reconnect one thing at a time and see what stops it going

if it didnt start your mobo is dead or the h/d is dead

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    I still insist that it is a registery problem. However, restart your computer, press F8. After you enter your BIOS setup, change the settings to defaults and everything should be fine if it&#39;s a BIOS problem. Does your keyboard work after the welcome screen? (that if it actually appears). If your keyboard does not work, that gives a higher possibility that it is a registery problem.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    does it get any post at all? like where does it freeze, does the screen ever come on or does it stay blank? do u hear teh hard drive loading up the operating system? or does nothing happen?

if you cant even get to the bios, the best idea is to reset cmos, if that doesnt help unplug everything from the computer (on the inside) except for your cpu, video card (unless you&#39;ve got onboard) and your ram and psu. and leave the front panel connectors plugged in too. then see if it posts.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    We could really do with more info, like whether you get any beeps or if the video card info gets displayed, but here&#39;s the normal way to fault check this sort of hardware problem.
    Unplug everything except the CPU, 1 stick of RAM and your gfx card from the mobo, and make sure the gfx card and RAM are properly seated in their slots. Then clear CMOS and turn it on.
    If you don&#39;t see the video info or get beeps, it could be gfx card or mobo.
    If you do get video info, but no beeps, it&#39;s probably mobo. This sort of thig could be down to a fried BIOS which is normally fatal but has been known to be fixed by &#39;hot-swapping&#39; and updating it - but that&#39;s very risky and could lead to another dead BIOS chip.
    If you get video info and beeps, count the number/type (long/short) of beeps and google for what they mean.
    If it POSTs and goes on to tell you there&#39;s a problem with your disk, it&#39;s because your hard drive isn&#39;t plugged in so start plugging in things one by one until it stops booting again.

Think about this logically. When you turn on a computer is does things in a sequence...
    - the video is initialised
    - the BIOS POSTs and gives you either one &#39;all clear&#39; beep or a code in the form of error beeps
    - the BIOS starts checking CPU, RAM and IDE channels for hardware.
    - the BIOS boots the machine.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast