Thread: How Do I Make/start A Dsl Connection?

Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    well i use SBC YAHOO DSL is there any way to let me connect like this without using the install disk? (the install disk installs alot of crap)

Image Resized
    [img]http://mercury.walagata.com/w/aznrocky415/gg.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    You'll need a router.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by shn@19 March 2004 - 06:24
    You'll need a router.
    why the hell would i need a router...? i just wanna start a connection without using the install disk...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Monkeee+19 March 2004 - 00:25--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Monkeee &#064; 19 March 2004 - 00:25)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@19 March 2004 - 06:24
    You&#39;ll need a router.&nbsp;
    why the hell would i need a router...? i just wanna start a connection without using the install disk... [/b][/quote]
    Like I said. You&#39;ll need a router to do what you want to do.

Other than that, sbc yahoo dsl is just as bad as AOL unless you have a business account or a router to establish a connection without the software.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    wait nvm guys i found a easy guide

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Monkeee@19 March 2004 - 00:28
    Interesting. But that is only for one pc.

You posted the same inquiry several months ago because you were trying to network multiple machines in vmware and I did not tell you because of your attitude.

For one pc, that may work. But in your case, you&#39;ll still need a router.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by shn+19 March 2004 - 06:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 19 March 2004 - 06:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Monkeee@19 March 2004 - 00:28
    Interesting. But that is only for one pc.

You posted the same inquiry several months ago because you were trying to network multiple machines in vmware and I did not tell you because of your attitude.

For one pc, that may work. But in your case, you&#39;ll still need a router. [/b][/quote]
    i&#39;m not sure what the hell you just said but... thx?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    The install disk that came with your home install kit is mostly meant, IMO, for systems not running XP or 2000. 95/98/98se and few other versions do not contain the clients for the PPPoE connection that SBC Yahoo requires.

Of which, their service supports all web browsers and most email clients just fine.

To create the connection you simply make certain that your DSL modem is running smoothly and connected to your ethernet card. A simple telephone cable should also be connected to the modem and filtered at the wall socket.

Now run the wizard for creating a "new connection". "start> all programs> accessories> communications> new connection wizard".

Choose: "connect to the internet".

"set up my connection maually"

"connect using a broadband connection that requires using a user
    name and a password (PPPoE)"

Fill in a name you want to call this connection as well as your logon name and password that you set up with SBC. If you have not done this yet over the phone with them, then you will need the disk to do just this part. You can uninstall their crap browser and other needless toys after creating your account. Complete the wizard. After which your connection will follow the same lines as say a dial-up connection. Meaning that when you connect, the dial-up prompt will appear. This is supposed to be this way.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by Izagaia@21 March 2004 - 00:54
    The install disk that came with your home install kit is mostly meant, IMO, for systems not running XP or 2000. 95/98/98se and few other versions do not contain the clients for the PPPoE connection that SBC Yahoo requires.

Of which, their service supports all web browsers and most email clients just fine.

To create the connection you simply make certain that your DSL modem is running smoothly and connected to your ethernet card. A simple telephone cable should also be connected to the modem and filtered at the wall socket.

Now run the wizard for creating a "new connection". "start> all programs> accessories> communications> new connection wizard".

Choose: "connect to the internet".

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "set up my connection maually"

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; "connect using a broadband connection that requires using a user
    &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; name and a password (PPPoE)"

Fill in a name you want to call this connection as well as your logon name and password that you set up with SBC. If you have not done this yet over the phone with them, then you will need the disk to do just this part. You can uninstall their crap browser and other needless toys after creating your account. Complete the wizard. After which your connection will follow the same lines as say a dial-up connection. Meaning that when you connect, the dial-up prompt will appear. This is supposed to be this way.
    Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://public.pacbell.net/dsl/winxp/images_new/1.7ConUsing.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

Unless yahoo using a non-standard (proprietary) version of PPPOE then this will work.