Thread: Spyware To Catch Shareres

4play's Avatar knob jockey
    From SecurityFocus comes news that a pair of coders with a deep hatred of software pirates have gone public with a months-old experiment to trick file sharers into running custom spyware they wrote that scolds users and phones home to a server. They circulated the program disguised as sought-after downloads like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Microsoft source code, and they have a website that updates in real time whever someone executes it. They've logged IP addresses for over 12,000 'pirates' since January. The EFF says the vigilantes may be committing a crime."

source

they still like to call people that share on p2p apps pirates when this is not the case.

still the site is now getting a good slashdotting (ddos attack in laymans terms) so they are not gonna be collecting information after there server melts.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    Please visit here just once to use up their bandwidth:
    http://walktheplank.ath.cx/dustbunny/display.php

Notice that many of the ips are 192.168.x.x -- thus unrouteable on the internet.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Huh?
    • Average time wasted: 12.872724467757 Seconds
      Total time: 1390.6833333333 Minutes
      Hours: 23.178055555556 Hours
      Operating for: 941.35916666667 Hours

Average time wasted?

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    I believe that is the average time they leave the window open.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Good - their evil website is broken down!! Nice one !!
    When I tried to visit it, I got a "Cannot Find Server - The Page Cannot Be Displayed" message.
    I believe that is the average time they leave the window open
    The average time they leave what window open??

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    surely this wouldnt hold up in court though - they are actively going out of their way to put out software in order to catch someone, which is a honey trap.
    <insert signature here>

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by vivitron 15@22 March 2004 - 00:46
    surely this wouldnt hold up in court though - they are actively going out of their way to put out software in order to catch someone, which is a honey trap.
    with out the cutie

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I&#39;ve just found out that the 2 idiots behind this are the owners of a weblog called http://www.blogzine.net
    So I went in there, and left them a nice message on their comments section, to atagonise them:

Oh my goodness Cliff and Justin - you are such idiots &#33;&#33;
    You really think you can fight against hundreds of millions of filesharers around the world&#33;&#33; You are deluding yourselves&#33;&#33;
    I love kazaa i love warez warez warez warez free stuff forever and nothing you do can stop me hhahahahhahah from behind my lovely far-eastern proxy server&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Posted by Sparkle at March 22, 2004 11:30 AM

So go to their website and tell them exactly what you think of them &#33;&#33;

EDIT: And here are some more websites under their control. Go and give them a massive slashdotting big time&#33;&#33;
    http://www.extenshun.com/
    http://clifgriffin.com/

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    i have some more info on them if anyone&#39;s interested lol- when the article came out i did a little research

too bad it&#39;s easier to get a home phone number than it is anything that&#39;s online based&#33;

for what&#39;s worth the ips i found i threw in the antip2p list at bluetack.co.uk

ddd

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by dingdongding@24 March 2004 - 05:14
    i have some more info on them if anyone&#39;s interested lol- when the article came out i did a little research

too bad it&#39;s easier to get a home phone number than it is anything that&#39;s online based&#33;

for what&#39;s worth the ips i found i threw in the antip2p list at bluetack.co.uk

ddd
    Nice one &#33;&#33;&#33;