Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pc Keeps Rebooting

hi, my pc has xp pro on it and it keeps re-booting automatically. when the pc is switched on, it does its normal check and then goes to the screen as if i had pressed F8, anyway i have selected all the options, ie safe mode, last known configuration etc, but any one of them i choose the pc will start to boot up for about 5 seconds and then automatically restart and i have to start again. any ideas?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Yes, I had that many times. It is a registery corrupted, especially the section that has to do with hardware, so you either have to search for the walkthru in MS website or something, or run a repair installation of windows xp.
    note: nothing is lost when running a repair installation fo win xp.
    many people are having the same problem past days, if it is not a registery problem, it might be a new virus.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Hardware fault is probably the first thing to check for cos a software problem may mean re-installing XP.
    Open the case and unplug everything except CPU, memory, gfx card and the booting hard drive.
    If it boots OK, start plugging bits back in one at a time until the problem reappears.
    If it still reboots, get memtest86 on a booting CD and check your memory. If that checks out OK, it leaves us with motherboard, CPU, hard drive or software problem.
    A repair install of XP would be next, unless you can borrow a CPU. If the repair install doesn&#39;t fix it, we&#39;ve narrowed it down a little. If it does fix it, you may have wasted an hour pissing around with hardware, but you gotta check stuff that wouldn&#39;t affect the Windows setup before stuff that does.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by supersonic@19 March 2004 - 22:04
    note: nothing is lost when running a repair installation fo win xp...
    ...except updates that&#39;ll need re-downloading.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    You may have the Blaster Worm Virus that makes you computer restart automatically. Go to nortons web site or McAfee Web site to download a repair tool, then install critical updates to make sure you do not get the virus again.

EDIT: After reading your post a bit better, I noticed that you are not booting all the way up to windows, if this is the case, then your registry is probably corrupt.

Thanks STORM

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by firefox@19 March 2004 - 23:43
    You may have the Blaster Worm Virus that makes you computer restart automatically. Go to nortons web site or McAfee Web site to download a repair tool, then install critical updates to make sure you do not get the virus again.
    no, thats definitly NOT it, blaster makes your PC crash when you get on the net......... no sooner........

and that has a patch for it on the MS site..........
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by Storm+19 March 2004 - 14:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Storm &#064; 19 March 2004 - 14:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-firefox@19 March 2004 - 23:43
    You may have the Blaster Worm Virus that makes you computer restart automatically.&nbsp; Go to nortons web site or McAfee Web site to download a repair tool, then install critical updates to make sure you do not get the virus again.
    no, thats definitly NOT it, blaster makes your PC crash when you get on the net......... no sooner........

and that has a patch for it on the MS site..........[/b][/quote]
    Blaster has a count down too say&#39;s your computer will restart in 10 seconds.Sounds like a hardware problem tho. check your memory ? driver problem?
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5523.htm#3

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I do not believe that anything is damaged in the way of hardware. I had this same thing happen before after installing some sort of software. Damned if I can recall the name or of what nature it was though.

I merely re-installed the operating system. A pain-in-the-arse- yes. Yet, I am one to frequently back my system up onto CD-R&#39;s frequently. It cost me nothing more than time and some patience.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Originally posted by Izagaia@20 March 2004 - 16:28
    I do not believe that anything is damaged in the way of hardware. I had this same thing happen before after installing some sort of software. Damned if I can recall the name or of what nature it was though.&nbsp;

I merely re-installed the operating system. A pain-in-the-arse- yes. Yet, I am one to frequently back my system up onto CD-R&#39;s frequently. It cost me nothing more than time and some patience.
    Driver problems are the tuff ones could be a problem with the registry also. I would try supersonics suggestion and do a repair install

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    happens to our comps at school, but the dumb tech reformats. It&#39;s either a virus or corrupted windows file.

Get Linux&#33;&#33;&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast