Thread: How To Uninstall Windows 98

Poster
    I have Windows 98 on C: and Windows XP on D:
    How to uninstall Windows 98 ???
    I don't need Win98 anymore and it's wasting my disk space

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Back up your important files and just reformat the c drive. Switch drive settings so that d becomes c (Switch drive positions and jumpers) and yer done. If the cables will reach, you may not have to physically move the drives, but the cables will usually be to short. This'll save you the trouble of using a multiboot app like bootmagic to bypass window's obscession with c: being the boot drive which I assume you're using anyway.

Unless, of course, you want another primary OS on c.

Note: I've been told that jumper settings matter, not cable settings. I've also seen windows get weird....errr....weirder when it's been tried. Why give windows an unneeded excuse to act stupid?

Liberal: Lib er al Someone who's mind is so open their brains fell out.
    Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels, they lift them.
    Lead, follow or get yer ass run over!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There should be an uninstall entry in Add/Remove Programs.

Originally posted by longboneslinger@20 March 2004 - 00:00
    Back up your important files and just reformat the c drive. Switch drive settings so that d becomes c (Switch drive positions and jumpers) and yer done.
    I don't think so.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by longboneslinger@20 March 2004 - 00:00
    Back up your important files and just reformat the c drive. Switch drive settings so that d becomes c (Switch drive positions and jumpers) and yer done. If the cables will reach, you may not have to physically move the drives, but the cables will usually be to short. This'll save you the trouble of using a multiboot app like bootmagic to bypass window's obscession with c: being the boot drive which I assume you're using anyway.

Unless, of course, you want another primary OS on c.

Note: I've been told that jumper settings matter, not cable settings. I've also seen windows get weird....errr....weirder when it's been tried. Why give windows an unneeded excuse to act stupid?
    Thank you for the small "turtorial".I forggot to say that I don't have to HDDs , just two partitions (created with PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.0 Pro)

Anyway thanks, but the problem is I don't have enough space on D: (full of games and other stuff, only 2,6 GB left) so can't back up the files from C:

Maybe I should just delete the "Windows" folder

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    reformat the drive that you want to, then install xp on it

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    h1
    Originally posted by longboneslinger@19 March 2004 - 19:00
    Back up your important files and just reformat the c drive. Switch drive settings so that d becomes c (Switch drive positions and jumpers) and yer done.
    I'm sorry, but you lose.

Nice sig there, bulio.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    ok the easiest way to do it , is to go to control panel and system then advanced and start up and recovery , untick the two top options and make sure xp is selected in the drop down window

restart and you should not see the dual boot screen anymore, once that happens you can format c drive and xp wont give a shit as its still on d drive

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by delphin460@20 March 2004 - 12:48
    ok the easiest way to do it , is to go to control panel and system then advanced and start up and recovery , untick the two top options and make sure xp is selected in the drop down window

restart and you should not see the dual boot screen anymore, once that happens you can format c drive and xp wont give a shit as its still on d drive
    Except C: still will be the active partition and bootup files will get deleted if you format it.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+20 March 2004 - 09:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 20 March 2004 - 09:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-delphin460@20 March 2004 - 12:48

Except C: still will be the active partition and bootup files will get deleted if you format it. [/b][/quote]
    yes, the easiest way is to just delete both partitions then recreate them and install windows xp on the c partition this time.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    BANNED
    Nice sig there, bulio.
    Yep