Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawn Of The Dead

not to detract from european film or specifically european sci-fi/horror, but 28 days later just didn't get it right. i thought it started out with loads of potential (the london scenes were a brilliant setup), and ran out of fuel pretty quickly. i wasn't really surprised by any of it after they left the city, and the documentary-style digital video gimmick grew tiresome very early.

maybe if it hadn't been so massively hyped as an A-quality film before reaching the u.s., i would've been more willing to accept it as a better-than-average B-movie. and i guess i've come to dislike the fans' explanation that it's good-because-it's-realistic and it explains everything neatly. realism is a false measure of quality for entertainment, imho. i don't spend $9 to get a seat to experience reality... not when i can go outside and experience reality for free.

2. Movies & TV   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@24 March 2004 - 22:42
    not to detract from european film or specifically european sci-fi/horror, but 28 days later just didn't get it right. i thought it started out with loads of potential (the london scenes were a brilliant setup), and ran out of fuel pretty quickly. i wasn't really surprised by any of it after they left the city, and the documentary-style digital video gimmick grew tiresome very early.

maybe if it hadn't been so massively hyped as an A-quality film before reaching the u.s., i would've been more willing to accept it as a better-than-average B-movie. and i guess i've come to dislike the fans' explanation that it's good-because-it's-realistic and it explains everything neatly. realism is a false measure of quality for entertainment, imho. i don't spend $9 to get a seat to experience reality... not when i can go outside and experience reality for free.
    I liked the London backdrop as well but...DOTD was actuallya little more realistic look at zombies overrunning the world.

When they were on the roof did you see the football field full of zombies below. JEEZ.

Or when they tried to escape in the trucks, the movie conveyed the feeling of hopelessness and being outnumbered. 28 Days Later should have "shown" the scene described at the airport. He said it was piles of people.

Instead 28 Days Later was like Night Of The Comet more than any other movie. It ripped that off too.

Waking up to a deserted town. Done in NOTC.

Encountering zombies or whatever in the deserted town. Done in NOTC.

Encountering soldiers that are supposed to help but the plans fall apart. Done in NOTC.

Now that I think of it. 28 Days Later as the most unoriginal movie I have ever seen.

For those who haven't, see Night of the Comet.

I think the deserted town is NY but I can't be sure.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. Movies & TV   -   #33
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    On the other side of the coin I think the worst zombie infestation I have ever seen in a film was Zombie Flesheaters (I think it was called this?) where at the end the narrator says that the zombies overran the planet and the scene scans over a bridge with zombies walking up and down it.

Unfortunately their budget must have not spread to actually closing down the bridge for filming because in the background you can see people happily driving to work blissfully unaware of the zombie threat!

4. Movies & TV   -   #34
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by Withcheese@25 March 2004 - 07:19
    On the other side of the coin I think the worst zombie infestation I have ever seen in a film was Zombie Flesheaters (I think it was called this?) where at the end the narrator says that the zombies overran the planet and the scene scans over a bridge with zombies walking up and down it.

Unfortunately their budget must have not spread to actually closing down the bridge for filming because in the background you can see people happily driving to work blissfully unaware of the zombie threat!

i did'nt see that but day of the dead and night of the living dead 2 was some of the worst acting i ever saw even worse that the original black and white ,tho i like all zombie movies that was some of the worse

5. Movies & TV   -   #35
    oddly enough:

ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS aka ZOMBI 2. Italy. 1979. This was the first of the numerous Italian ripoffs of George Romero’s Dawn of the Dead (1979). Dawn of the Dead was released in Italy as Zombi and with enterprising fortitude this was released only a few months later and cannily billed itself as Zombi 2. (There have been several other films billing themselves as unofficial sequels to Dawn, going all the way up to Zombi’s 4 and 5, and with at least three claiming the title Zombi 3). It was also the film that launched Lucio Fulci out of the relative obscurity and allowed him to briefly shine in the early eighties as a hardcore charnel poet with such cultish gore films as City of the Living Dead/Gates of Hell (1980), The Beyond/The Seven Doors of Death (1981) and The House Outside the Cemetery (1981).
    it's fairly safe to say that the technical quality and marketing practices of the italian film industry have left something to be desired.

their horror flicks (even their best) tend to be the sort of thing you should only watch if you're willing to forgive a lot of shortcomings, i.e. every scene that doesn't involve gore or dream imagery.

Originally posted by bujub22
    even worse that the original black and white
    the acting was not bad at all in the original NOTLD. duane jones (the black guy) was especially good... he pretty much carried the whole movie.

btw, NOTLD's copyright has lapsed into the public domain, so it's no longer illegal to download it. you can get a legal 4gb mpeg-2 copy right here, which i'd guess is DVD-quality considering the format and file size: http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.p...ectionSpotlight
    pretty kewl, eh? B)

6. Movies & TV   -   #36
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    So it looks like the whole zombie-genre has been cannibalizing itself since the very begginning...

Bas joke, I know, but it had to be made...

7. Movies & TV   -   #37
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Maddox liked Dawn of the Dead. See? One of these days Arm will download it. Actually, ill get right on it. I loved the original and maybe this remake will be good too.

8. Movies & TV   -   #38
    has anybody actually got this movie?all i can get is a black screen when i try to download it

9. Movies & TV   -   #39
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by ode@25 March 2004 - 11:08
    has anybody actually got this movie?all i can get is a black screen when i try to download it
    Ahhhh newbie heaven.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Movies & TV   -   #40
    bujub22's Avatar THE GREAT
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC+25 March 2004 - 08:33--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3RA1N1AC @ 25 March 2004 - 08:33)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    <!--QuoteBegin-bujub22

even worse that the original black and white
    the acting was not bad at all in the original NOTLD. duane jones (the black guy) was especially good... he pretty much carried the whole movie.

btw, NOTLD&#39;s copyright has lapsed into the public domain, so it&#39;s no longer illegal to download it. you can get a legal 4gb mpeg-2 copy right here, which i&#39;d guess is DVD-quality considering the format and file size: http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.p...ectionSpotlight
    pretty kewl, eh? B) [/b][/quote]
    dont get me wrong, i like all the movies jus some of the actin sucked

and candy man there was the best in the ol movie to bad the shot him in the end in both versions

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast