Thread: Windows Xp Restore Point

I needed to check something out...so I used the Restore point feature in WinXP that was from and earlier point in time. When I restored it back to the current point it was at My HD both C: and D: Drives Lost a good chunk of space. I'm not sure as to why I lost all that space from both drives on the C it was over 1.5 gigs and on D: drive about 1 gig..or vice versa. Can restore point cause this sort of havoc because i'm lost as to why this occured. Any info appreciated..thanks in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    System Restore takes up a certain percentage of a hard drive for registry and settings back ups. You can either reduce the overall percentage that System Restore takes up, or disable it altogether by clicking 'Start', right-clicking 'My Computer', left-click 'Properties', then clicking the 'System Restore' tab. From here, you can check off "Turn Off System Restore on all drives" to disable, or Click on your desired drive to highlight and click 'Settings'. From here, you can use the slider to reduce the overall percentage of disk space for System Restore to use. When done, hit OK, and restart the computer to effect the changes. When you have restarted, go ahead and check for that 3 Gig discrepancy and see if that helped.

Or disable system restore.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Is that where the drive space is lost?

The total space both my C&D drives occupy versus the total capacity of my harddrive has been bugging me somewhat as well. A descrepancy of around 3gig is what I came up with.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    First thing I do when I have to do a clean install is disable system restore. I just find it useless myself.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Shn: Thanks a lot that info helped a ton. Woa I wasn't aware till now that System restore can devour so much HD space.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by shn@21 March 2004 - 06:48
    System Restore takes up a certain percentage of a hard drive for registry and settings back ups. You can either reduce the overall percentage that System Restore takes up, or disable it altogether by clicking 'Start', right-clicking 'My Computer', left-click 'Properties', then clicking the 'System Restore' tab. From here, you can check off "Turn Off System Restore on all drives" to disable, or Click on your desired drive to highlight and click 'Settings'. From here, you can use the slider to reduce the overall percentage of disk space for System Restore to use. When done, hit OK, and restart the computer to effect the changes. When you have restarted, go ahead and check for that 3 Gig discrepancy and see if that helped.

Or disable system restore.
    Thanks VERY MUCH shn.
    That little tip reclaimed over 1GB of space on my secondary drive, which I use as an archive.