Thread: Windows Media 9

Just a quickie- isn't WMP9 the one with the new Digital Rights Management bollocks on it? If so, does that mean none of the 'shared' stuff I have will work?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Even if it does have that, the files you have doesn't support whatever kind of 'protection' they have put it, so no need to worry about the stuff you already have.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by Rhydian66@9 March 2003 - 14:59
    Just a quickie- isn't WMP9 the one with the new Digital Rights Management bollocks on it? If so, does that mean none of the 'shared' stuff I have will work?
    Yes, WMP9 does have DRM. But DRM is only works with WMV/WMA files, atm. All your mp3's, avi's will be fine.

It's worth downloading if you don't already have it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Cheers guys.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    If you have windows media player then get a firewall.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by spudlover+9 March 2003 - 09:06--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (spudlover @ 9 March 2003 - 09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Rhydian66@9 March 2003 - 14:59
    Just a quickie- isn&#39;t WMP9 the one with the new Digital Rights Management bollocks on it?&nbsp; If so, does that mean none of the &#39;shared&#39; stuff I have will work?
    Yes, WMP9 does have DRM. But DRM is only works with WMV/WMA files, atm. All your mp3&#39;s, avi&#39;s will be fine.

It&#39;s worth downloading if you don&#39;t already have it.[/b][/quote]
    I believe that DRM applies to everything (WMA/MP3/etc) if you have those options enabled.

Content becomes protected (or liscenced) in two ways. If you download a file from a content provider (record company site) or if you rip a CD using 9 and the copy protect music box is checked under Options/Copy music tab.

To be on the safe side go to Options/Privacy tab/ and uncheck everything but the retrieve media info box (unless you want to manually enter tag info). Then go to the Copy Music tab and make sure that the copy protect box is not check. The help file in 9 actually tells you how this all works. Just search for Digital Rights Management.

Hope this helps.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by dingoBaby@9 March 2003 - 15:48

I believe that DRM applies to everything (WMA/MP3/etc) if you have those options enabled.

I doubt you&#39;d find ANY mp3 on the Fasttrack network with DRM on it. The large majority of MP3&#39;s available do not have DRM built in, although they may do in the future.

Another reason to move to Vorbis&#33;

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Stuff only get&#39;s copy protected if you enable(or don&#39;t disable<i&#39;m not sure)the option