Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inability To Download Plentiful Files

I have been attempting to down load The SOPRANOS season 5 episode 1 for a few days and can't get connected.
    I was interested in hearing anyones speculation why I can't download it, the show was touted as one of the most viewed TV shows that week.

Are the 500 or so files fake put out by HBO ?

ARE PEOPLE JUST SCARED TO SHARE ?

IS THE DEMAND SO GREAT THE SHARERS HAVE TO RESTRICT THE SHARING SO THEY CAN STILL SURF?

I'm not really having problems down loading other things.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    BANNED
    your download speed depends on the # of sources for it and their upload speed, anddon't be fooled by whatyou see in the search window they are not an indication of who is available for connection so change supernodes to see if you get lucky, also use localized supernodes, also try changing ports, and lower your upload bandwidth,remove the no ip sources from your dat files and see if it helps

i belive its a lack of sources boss

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@13 March 2004 - 08:05
    I have been attempting to down load The SOPRANOS season 5 episode 1 for a few days and can&#39;t get connected.
    I was interested in hearing anyones speculation why I can&#39;t download it, the show was touted as one of the most viewed TV shows that week.

Are the 500 or so files fake put out by HBO ?

ARE PEOPLE JUST SCARED TO SHARE ?

IS THE DEMAND SO GREAT THE SHARERS HAVE TO RESTRICT THE SHARING SO THEY CAN STILL SURF?

I&#39;m not really having problems down loading other things.
    Hiya,
    I get a lot of uploaders "aborted" instantly, especially with the popular files I&#39;m sharing. It could be problems with firewalls or too many people trying to download the movie at once (maybe?) and you just have to wait your turn. Many others are probably trying to download the same "Special". I keep my upload maximum at
    12, which is the default for my setting. The more a sharer sets it higher, the less bandwith is supported, which is bad for everybody. Keep on jumping the &#39;nodes, you&#39;ll get lucky&#33;
    &quot;Our greatest accomplishment in life is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall&quot;

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by CocoColaNut@13 March 2004 - 21:13
    I keep my upload maximum at 12, which is the default for my setting.
    12 uploads at once?
    That&#39;s a tad steep for most broadband connections.
    How much bandwidth is split among them total and about how fast are each on average?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Isn&#39;t that the default setting here for broadband though? So I just left it at that. Some uploading from me can go as high as 100 kb/s... etc. It depends on what they&#39;re using or what they&#39;re downloading from me.
    No, I don&#39;t have 12 at once... at least not recently, they keep on getting instantly aborted for some reason I haven&#39;t quite figured out yet. I think it has something to do w/the new Norton Internet security 2004. I checked my firewall settings, etc and thought I fixed it, but it&#39;s happening again. But my upload settings are at 12 (default) You think I should set it lower?.. Do you think that may be the reason why users are getting instantly aborted? "12"
    was the Kazaa&#39;s default setting for the 2.4.3 version when I signed on as using a Broadband. (I don&#39;t want to update to 2.6 until all the kinks are worked out...
    I can&#39;t even install it without the ad error message popping up&#33; ) I&#39;m used to 2.4.3 anyway B)

P.s. I know I edited this a few times, AND AGAIN EDITING but I&#39;d like to find out why users are getting
    instantly aborted... It&#39;s driving me crazy a little. I really don&#39;t think it&#39;s because users are signing off, etc... the "aborting" is spontaneous, as soon as they try without even getting any k/b&#39;s at all... they&#39;re just automatically aborted. The reason why I think it&#39;s Norton 2004 is because this problem started happening right after I upgraded from Norton&#39;s 2003 to 2004. They have this new "fix" within their virus scan which deletes adware programs. But these "adware" programs (which includes Kazaa) aren&#39;t programs I want to delete&#33; And I had already PERMITTED access to... it&#39;s confusing. I skipped the fix. But Now, I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s Norton, or if it has something to do with my settings here. . Since I have a broadband modem, I want to help out here, so I am a &#39;node (clicked on that "force" Zupernode-"testing"), could it be my "upload" setting is too high?
    Another thing I haven&#39;t tried yet, only because I don&#39;t know the "range" etc. for Kazaa
    (I don&#39;t know if that&#39;s permitted to give out to us), Maybe also "permitting" that into my firewall along with klrun.exe, etc., for example.. 200.xxx.xxx. to 300.xxx.xxx, maybe that could help me.. but like I said, I don&#39;t know if that&#39;s permitted or wise to enter into Norton&#39;s 2004 firewall? If you could help me out with this, it would be great&#33;&#33;&#33;
    &quot;Our greatest accomplishment in life is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall&quot;

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Old Fella
    I haven&#39;t read your whole thing but to be a supernode don&#39;t check the testing box, uncheck that and go to advanced options and uncheck the box for Do Not Function As A Supernode.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    I know my posts are looonng, you should hear my phone msgs&#33; ... I&#39;ll try that, thanks&#33; But I&#39;m still not sure if I should lower my uploader settings...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    nooo, didn&#39;t work... Not ALL uploaders are getting aborted, just most of them.
    Starts with one being able to upload, then the others get aborted, then a 2nd one is able to upload, then the third gets aborted... so on and so on... The ones with a broadband gets higher bytes. I even "checked" "Extra Upload Bandwith when Computer is idle"... nada. Very rare do I have full 12 uploading from me.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    Originally posted by CocoColaNut@14 March 2004 - 02:33
    I even "checked" "Extra Upload Bandwith when Computer is idle"... nada. Very rare do I have full 12 uploading from me.
    Very few users can upload at 100 KB/sec. I&#39;d say somewhere between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 100. I&#39;m on a semi-fast cablemodem, (ComCast) and I can&#39;t upload faster than 30 KB/sec -- and usually don&#39;t reach above 27 KB/sec.

Since you say you can upload at 100 KB/sec, but have problems with cancelled uploads, try lowering your KL++ upload bandwidth limit to 512 kilobits/sec (64 KB/sec) and see if that helps. If it doesn&#39;t, for the purpose of testing, try lowering it again one notch at a time till conditions improve. If they DON&#39;T improve, set it back to 512 kilobits/sec (64 KB/sec) -- since that doesn&#39;t seem to be the cause of your problems.

"Extra Upload Bandwith when Computer is idle" is a broken feature designed to overload internet connections, causing LOTS of failed uploads. It&#39;s best to disable that. If you have a superfast computer and full bandwidth of a 10 mbps fiber optic line, then it&#39;s ok to use it.

Norton seems a likely cause of your problem. Maybe slightly less aggressive settings in Norton&#39;s firewall will allow KL++ to work unhindered.

Do you see red X&#39;s anymore in searches, if you uncheck the &#39;hide firewall sources&#39; under options? If so, your KL++ is still firewalled -- which is one obvious symptom of your problems. Solve that problem and you&#39;ve solved the whole problem probably.

Are the uploads few in number, or do they just not stay connected long?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Originally posted by Switeck+14 March 2004 - 23:08--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Switeck &#064; 14 March 2004 - 23:08)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CocoColaNut@14 March 2004 - 02:33
    I even "checked" "Extra Upload Bandwith when Computer is idle"... nada. Very rare do I have full 12 uploading from me.
    Very few users can upload at 100 KB/sec. I&#39;d say somewhere between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in 100. I&#39;m on a semi-fast cablemodem, (ComCast) and I can&#39;t upload faster than 30 KB/sec -- and usually don&#39;t reach above 27 KB/sec.

Since you say you can upload at 100 KB/sec, but have problems with cancelled uploads, try lowering your KL++ upload bandwidth limit to 512 kilobits/sec (64 KB/sec) and see if that helps. If it doesn&#39;t, for the purpose of testing, try lowering it again one notch at a time till conditions improve. If they DON&#39;T improve, set it back to 512 kilobits/sec (64 KB/sec) -- since that doesn&#39;t seem to be the cause of your problems.

"Extra Upload Bandwith when Computer is idle" is a broken feature designed to overload internet connections, causing LOTS of failed uploads. It&#39;s best to disable that. If you have a superfast computer and full bandwidth of a 10 mbps fiber optic line, then it&#39;s ok to use it.

Norton seems a likely cause of your problem. Maybe slightly less aggressive settings in Norton&#39;s firewall will allow KL++ to work unhindered.

Do you see red X&#39;s anymore in searches, if you uncheck the &#39;hide firewall sources&#39; under options? If so, your KL++ is still firewalled -- which is one obvious symptom of your problems. Solve that problem and you&#39;ve solved the whole problem probably.

Are the uploads few in number, or do they just not stay connected long? [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for responding I&#39;ll try all what you said above, as a matter of fact, I&#39;m printing it.. ... Answer to your question on bottom: The uploaders are few in number (1 or 2) but their speeds are very high.
    I&#39;ll let you know if anything works.. Thanks again

P.s..forgot to mention answer to the red X question... that&#39;s another wierd thing..
    there aren&#39;t any red x&#39;s through files I&#39;m searching. What it seems like is that I have no problem connecting to other users&#39; files, but they have problems connecting to mine... So it&#39;s an "incoming" problem somewhere... I&#39;ll check the bandwith, etc... see what happens with that.. then I&#39;ll go back into Norton&#39;s firewall aggaaiiiinnn.. No offense to Norton, but I gotta tell ya.. I don&#39;t think I&#39;m going to renew my subscription anymore with Norton. Norton&#39;s customers should decide what to permit or what not to permit regarding sites and firewalls, and when customers make those adjustments, Norton shouldn&#39;t change their settings through updates, virus scans or just automatic adjusting. There are plenty others I could try and even the more popular ones are less expensive.

By the way, I can&#39;t seem to print your post. ... guess I have to do it the old fashioned way (ze pen and paper)... I see "additional options" =coming soon= below my post add on... maybe "Print" or "Copy" and
    "Paste" could be included. I&#39;ll add that to the "KL development" suggestions. B)

Thanks again for your help, and I&#39;ll let you know if it works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast