Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat32==>ntfs

Poster
    I'm a 99.9% sure that nothing will get deleted during convertion, when I type this in my DOS prompt:
    C:/fs:ntfs
    I want to convert my FAT32 to NTFS, but I want to be 100% nothing will get deleted. BTW: how long would it take approx. to convert during reboot?
    what are the disadvantages of this conversioin?
    I read all the other threads about FAT/FAT32/NTFS on this board, but still I want someone to tell me, so if anything gets deleted, YOU will be responsible .
    I'm not reformating the drive, but just converting.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Originally posted by supersonic@21 March 2004 - 20:00
    I&#39;m a 99.9% sure that nothing will get deleted during convertion, when I type this in my DOS prompt:
    C:/fs:ntfs
    I want to convert my FAT32 to NTFS, but I want to be 100% nothing will get deleted. BTW: how long would it take approx. to convert during reboot?
    what are the disadvantages of this conversioin?
    I read all the other threads about FAT/FAT32/NTFS on this board, but still I want someone to tell me, so if anything gets deleted, YOU will be responsible .
    I&#39;m not reformating the drive, but just converting.
    No nothing wii get deleted and the command I beleve is this.

Code:
    convert c&#58; /fs&#58;ntfs
    Note that "c:" is the drive you want to convert.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    yeps I nu, thnx.
    converting
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    although you will keep all of your files you should backup your data first just to be safe because if anything happens (ie power cut, PC freezes) the partition will become corrupt and you will have to reformat
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by NightStalker@21 March 2004 - 21:37
    NTFS vs. FAT32/16
    that site isnt completly correct......... FAT 32 doesnt support 255 carracters in file names, VFAT does...... VFAT is however backwards compatible with FAT32
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I could not convert because of corrupted directories. These files/folders I could not delete, because they were corrupted and when I delete it tells me that they cannot be deleted because they cannot be read from source file/disk. Anyways, I was converting to fix the problem. Chkdsk does not fix the problems, because it does not find them

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by supersonic@21 March 2004 - 17:55
    I could not convert because of corrupted directories. These files/folders I could not delete, because they were corrupted and when I delete it tells me that they cannot be deleted because they cannot be read from source file/disk. Anyways, I was converting to fix the problem. Chkdsk does not fix the problems, because it does not find them
    format

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    Yea right. I have 3.5 gigs in my comp. How do i burn it to one cd?
    formatting is evil, but isn&#39;t there any other way...u nu

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Use multiple CDs, or use a DVD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast