Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beep, Beep Fu@king Beep.

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    I've had to post this cos its getting too much to bear My pc is making beeping noises at me from inside the tower, it usually happens when booting up or when doing stuff that requires a lot of memory, most stuff I've found on net tells me about bios beep codes which in theory should give me an indication of any hardware probs prior to boot up, I've listened to the beeps on boot up and there does'nt seem to be any pattern to it :helpsmile: So far I have been unable to find anything relating to pc's beeping while the os is loaded and running. I've opened the case and checked everythings connected and seated right. The beeps seem to get worse the more ram I'm using, i.e opening say my antivirus software maybe get a couple of beeps while burning cd's or editing video will be constant beeping.
    Does any1 know whats the best thing to try next or of any software that might show up any probs ?

Help appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What are your temperatures?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    do you have a soundcard? usually my computer will beep when ive first installed my operating system before ive got the sound drivers installed.

another possibility is that your running out of memory and virtual memory. try increasing your virtual memory and see if the beeping goes away.

and at start up does it just beep once right when u press power and one more beep before loading operating system? that is normal.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Indeed, does there appear to be any kind of reduced performance during those beeps, or any kind of problems you forsee with the system?

I have heard of the speaker being used, but that only happens until you install a sound device and drivers.

You could always unplug the sound speaker.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Virtualbody1234@21 March 2004 - 23:36
    What are your temperatures?
    Yeah check your temps. You may have temperature warning beeps enabled which would explain why it's doing it at system intensive times.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by _John_Lennon_@22 March 2004 - 00:43

You could always unplug the sound speaker.
    My thoughts exactly.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I know this might sound stupid but is the case tightly closed around all areas maybe a loose wire is preventing one part of the case from closing properly.. cause I used to have a PC (Factory Built) where if the case was slightly open or in my case slightly bent I would get lots of beeps untill I evently had to disable the 'Case open warning' in bios.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Ty on start up I can get variations like sometimes 4 short beeps or 1 long 3 short, like I said I can't seem to pinpoint any fixed pattern I have 512mb ram 2x128 and 1x256 and let windows manage my swap file, not sure where to find my temps some1 reccomended motherboard monitor to test I might give it a try, If my temps are ok and the m/board monitor says its ok how do I disable the temp alarm is it in bios setup? BTW I hav'nt noticed any great diffs in performance lately. I've just d/loaded and installed motherboard monitor and will put in the results, sorry but I have to go, I got to leave for work at 4.30am and won't be back to next friday ( @myself I should have done this friday) Thanks for any help please carry on and I'll check back in at end of week B)

BTW ty for the unplug the speaker tip, I've done the next best thing for now which is put my headset on and turn uo the volume

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by AcID ZeR0@21 March 2004 - 20:02
    I know this might sound stupid but is the case tightly closed around all areas maybe a loose wire is preventing one part of the case from closing properly.. cause I used to have a PC (Factory Built) where if the case was slightly open or in my case slightly bent I would get lots of beeps untill I evently had to disable the 'Case open warning' in bios.
    ive never heard of a case open alarm...how does it know?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Well I think you'll just see it on factory built PC's.
    When I looked inside my one it had very slight metal coating sticks round the edges of the sides obviously once you close the case these metal ''sticks'' all touch each other to form a circuit if the case is open or not lined up properly the circuit would be broken thus setting off a alarm.
    Very neat idea, though can be quite annoying especially if you bend one of the sticks.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast