Thread: Dial Up Modem Starts To Dial On Boot Up !

I have a machine running Windows ME with a dial up 56K modem.

You used to have to click on the Dial Up Icon to connect to the web.

But now as soon as the machine boots up it starts dialing. This is a real pain and I do not know why it has happened.

I have checked in my startup folder and in MSConfig Startup Tab but can find no reason for it to be doing this. I suspect some Adware.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Digby
    NZ

PS Is it safe to delete all Adware that Lavasoft Adware 6 finds ?
    What color is your Adkaf ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Maybe you have it setup to connect automatically.

Using the first option "Never dial a connection" should stop it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lol, idiot dont do that it will also stop you connecting to the net

yes it sounds like you have spyware which is trying to connect to the net , it may even be a virus

get spybot and do a search and delete anything it finds , ( its ok its safe to do the lot )

ad aware is safe to delete anything it finds as wel

restart and scan again and make sure its clean, see if its still trying to connect

do an antivirus scan and make sure you dont have any trojans or worms lurking about

if both of these scans are done and clean , but its still trying to connect check you task manager applications and see what programs are running

even get yourself a firewall and block everything till you can workout what its doing it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by delphin460@22 March 2004 - 03:27
    lol, idiot dont do that it will also stop you connecting to the net

yes it sounds like you have spyware which is trying to connect to the net , it may even be a virus

get spybot and do a search and delete anything it finds , ( its ok its safe to do the lot )

ad aware is safe to delete anything it finds as wel

restart and scan again and make sure its clean, see if its still trying to connect

do an antivirus scan and make sure you dont have any trojans or worms lurking about

if both of these scans are done and clean , but its still trying to connect check you task manager applications and see what programs are running

even get yourself a firewall and block everything till you can workout what its doing it
    No it will not stop you from connecting to the net. It just stops the "connect automatically" thing. You can still connect by "click on the Dial Up Icon to connect to the web".

Anyways he could be right about spyware/adware "calling home". Check it out with spybot.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by Ariel_001@21 March 2004 - 22:40
    No it will not stop you from connecting to the net. It just stops the "connect automatically" thing. You can still connect by "click on the Dial Up Icon to connect to the web".

Anyways he could be right about spyware/adware "calling home". Check it out with spybot.
    Ariel _001 is correct. This option merely prevents software that requires an internet connection from accessing your network connection without consent.

However if there is a virus or trojan indeed present, then I highly doubt that even this option selection will prevent the software from auto-dialing "home" or whatever it is doing. I have had bouts with this sort of thing before with some crap softwares and have always come up on the losing end, I am afraid.

Nothing short of a good firewall/router or anything controlling traffic to and from your system, IMO, will put a final stop to this.

So if it is a virus/trojan, that is causing this, scan your system and then proceed from there.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    That happen to me.I was hijack by lop.com.It was always try to connect to the net.Check to see If your homepage has been changed.If so,Get hi-Jack This and run a scan.Then post your log here.Some one will look it over

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I wil try them out later this week.

I will try to get Hi-Jack and Spy-Bot

regards

Digby
    What color is your Adkaf ?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Ad-aware 6 free version is pretty good too