Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions About Stuff For My Future New Case

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    alright so for my birthday im probably going to buy a new case and some nice new fans and lights to replace my ghetto power supply fans im using as case fans.

Here is what im thinking of buying: (prices in canadian dollars)

This is the case I want to buy: Powmax ATX case with clear side for $69.99

and this set of fans\lights\round ide cables: Rounded IDE lighting Kit $41.99

and this fan adaptor thingy (sorry VB, this is easier): 60mm-to-80mm adaptor
    $11.99

so my questions are:

1. Does anybody know if the fan coming with the case has a light in it? it kinda loks it from the pic but i want to be sure.

2. Can those fans with lights (3 im geting in total) be volt modded to run at 7 volts? or would that make the light dimmer which im guessing will happen?

3. are those fans loud? at full speed (12v) they are rated 32db. with 3 of those fans and 1 extra fan I have which is pretty quiet all running will my computer be loud?

4. How does the light mount into the case? do i have to drill holes into the case floor for them? or do i glue them or just leave them sitting there?

5. does anybody know what the picture is of on the front of the case?

6. What kind of washers should I use to silence my hard drive and fans that make them not vibrate the whole case?

yeah so i think that is about it. I was going to buy that diablo tek case but today i went on to tigerdirect.ca and the case isnt there anymore so this one was my second choice. It comes with a power supply, which I will remove and use in another computer im building, and ill use my enermax 450watt in the new case.

Edit: added another questions. i think thats it. can anybody answer my questions? i know there are a lot...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 March 2004 - 14:44

2. Can those fans with lights (3 im geting in total) be volt modded to run at 7 volts? or would that make the light dimmer which im guessing will happen?

3. are those fans loud? at full speed (12v) they are rated 32db. with 3 of those fans and 1 extra fan I have which is pretty quiet all running will my computer be loud?

4. How does the light mount into the case? do i have to drill holes into the case floor for them? or do i glue them or just leave them sitting there?

6. What kind of washers should I use to silence my hard drive and fans that make them not vibrate the whole case?

#2.
    Probably. I am running mine on 5v and there is no discernable dimming of the lights.

#3.
    32Db isn't ridiculously noisy...it's more the quality of the sound than the amount, sometimes.

#4.
    Most of the kits I've seen use double-sided tape or velcro patches.

#6.
    Prolly not necessary...if your fans are so out of balance that they vibrate the case- ditch 'em.
    The HDD is tougher to silence...wrapping it with foam will help, but then temp might become an issue.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by clocker+22 March 2004 - 20:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 March 2004 - 20:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@22 March 2004 - 14:44

#2.
    Probably. I am running mine on 5v and there is no discernable dimming of the lights.

#3.
    32Db isn&#39;t ridiculously noisy...it&#39;s more the quality of the sound than the amount, sometimes.

#4.
    Most of the kits I&#39;ve seen use double-sided tape or velcro patches.

#6.
    Prolly not necessary...if your fans are so out of balance that they vibrate the case- ditch &#39;em.
    The HDD is tougher to silence...wrapping it with foam will help, but then temp might become an issue. [/b][/quote]
    thanks clocker, about the silencing. I remember reading something written by, i think, lynx and he said he put some risers or washers or something in to make teh hard drive not vibrate the whole case, that is what I am talking about...i once tried it using paper rings glues together, it helped a little, i think but they ripped off after i removed the hard drive.

im guessing i could use any washers to silence it. thanks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    use dynamat. you can get it at any car audio shop.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    If you are really concerned about noiselevels then don&#39;t get that case. Its very thin and lightweight so sounds won&#39;t be absorbed very well. Also that case doesn&#39;t have very good air intake vents. Very restrictive for airflow.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    im not too too worried about the sound levels, anything is better than what I have now, and i can live with the sound I have now...

I&#39;ll look into that dynamat stuff tommorrow, but i think just ordinary rubber washers will drown out a bit of the sound too..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Actually Rossco, I think that the best bet in HDD silencing is just to get a quiet unit to begin with.

Having now tried all three major brands, I think that Seagate&#39;s are by far the best, noise-wise. My sister&#39;s new 120GB model is almost undetectable even when doing a lot of reading/writing.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    dynamat is used to deaden sound vibrations in car audio when the car actually vibrates from the sound levels. it like 20 bucks for a roll and you can place it on panels inside the comp. just talk with a stero installer. they can help. but i also agree that that case seems kinda flimsy.
    and if you wanna hear loud, you should hear my TDK VeloCD cd burner when im making a cd. it sounds like a friggin airliner taking off.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well im doing the cheap silencing methods...washers are like 2 bucks max for about 10 of them...versus over 100 bucks for a whole new hard drive. I still dont have a job...i think i better start looking.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@22 March 2004 - 23:06
    well im doing the cheap silencing methods...washers are like 2 bucks max for about 10 of them...versus over 100 bucks for a whole new hard drive. I still dont have a job...i think i better start looking.
    go with whats cheap. rubber washers sound like a good plan to me. get the big ones that are used to replace the washers inside of garden hoses. they are pretty durable. i know, because i install lawn irrigation for a living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast