Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sheikh Yassin Assassination

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Very true.

There seems to an expectation of unilaterality (say that five times fast) that begins and ends with Israel.

I mean, really:

Is Hamas a legitimate organ of "Palestine" or not?

They cannot be disavowed on the one hand, then accepted as integral on the other.

If Arafat actually cared about the peace process, he'd have done (with a high degree of legitimacy) what Israel now appears to be doing.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    J2 and Busyman

I think the issue regarding Yassin's incapacity does not really bear comparison with Bin Laden. We do not know where Bin Laden is or what he is up to. If some sources are to be believed he is in the process of planning some monumentally dastardly attack.

Yassin attended the same mosque 5 times a day in Gaza and has done so for years. He was not in hiding nor did he keep his movements hidden. Israel did not need to do this in this manner unless they specifically wanted to. The question is, why did they want to do this right now?

In my view it was a calculated political act. The US cannot insist on its road map if Hammas are in full vent. The Israelis are anything but stupid, they know this death will not save Israeli lives nor discourage other militants. The reverse is much more likely to be the case. Therefore the payoff has to be political.

I do, however, believe the Rice when she says the US was not privy to prior knowledge of this attack. The last thing George Bush needs to see is the road map going down in flames and anti-western feeling rising on the back of it - especially in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    People, Yassin was not simply a "spiritual leader". He was the founder of Hamas, a group that freely states that it is dedicated to the destruction of Israel. Nope, not dedicated to a Palestinian state, not dedicated to getting Israel out of Gaza/WB but they state that they will not stop until Israel is no more.

He wanted to die a fiery death and he did. Maybe there'll be a virgin left over for him.

And FWIW, he was in a wheelchair and had less than 20/20 vision when he founded Hamas.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Originally posted by putty
    People, Yassin was not simply a "spiritual leader". He was the founder of Hamas, a group that freely states that it is dedicated to the destruction of Israel. Nope, not dedicated to a Palestinian state, not dedicated to getting Israel out of Gaza/WB but they state that they will not stop until Israel is no more.

He wanted to die a fiery death and he did. Maybe there'll be a virgin left over for him.

And FWIW, he was in a wheelchair and had less than 20/20 vision when he founded Hamas.
    Do you really think killing him will weaken Hamas or reduce the number of suicide bombers though?

Why kill him now just as Israel is about to pull out from Gaza? Don't you think the timing is slightly suspicious? i.e That Sharon wants to create a huge wave of retaliation then use that as an excuse to go back into Gaza?

Btw, Hamas do want the destruction of Israel, but they also want an independent Islamic Palestinian state.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by leftism+24 March 2004 - 03:02--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leftism &#064; 24 March 2004 - 03:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-putty

He wanted to die a fiery death and he did. Maybe there&#39;ll be a virgin left over for him.

Do you really think killing him will weaken Hamas or reduce the number of suicide bombers though?

Why kill him now just as Israel is about to pull out from Gaza? Don&#39;t you think the timing is slightly suspicious? i.e That Sharon wants to create a huge wave of retaliation then use that as an excuse to go back into Gaza?

Btw, Hamas do want the destruction of Israel, but they also want an independent Islamic Palestinian state.[/b][/quote]
    Lefty,

He did state that their dedication lies in killing all the Jews in Israeli. I am sure that once they kill them all, they get to treasure their new independent state, as a nice side bonus.

As for the rest, you are right, to what end was done, certainly not for peace. I think Biggles explained this better than I can. Why now, for what purpose?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    Originally posted by hobbes+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hobbes)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>He did state that their dedication lies in killing all the Jews in Israeli. I am sure that once they kill them all, they get to treasure their new independent state, as a nice side bonus.[/b]

He did say that but he also ruled out any dedication to a Palestinian state.

Originally posted by putty@
    Nope, not dedicated to a Palestinian state
    <!--QuoteBegin-hobbes

Why now, for what purpose?[/quote]

I&#39;ll make a prediction here. Once Israel has pulled out of Gaza I think we can expect a swift return, thats if they pull out of Gaza at all.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    He stated that their main focus was to kill Jews, anything else is secondary.

That is the key.

They would not be happy with an independent state with Jews still in Israeli, and that is the key. They are dedicated more to killing Jews than getting a piece of land to call home.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    oh p.s., don&#39;t listen to western media, it&#39;s almost always manufactured consent. consent you ask? yes, there is nothing as a people or citizens we can do to stop the fighting going on in israel, mainly because it&#39;s israel and america (no offense to any americans, i used to live in america too and i like it as much as i do canada so please no harsh comments). but it&#39;s true, almost all western news/media is biased and it&#39;s views are in favour of or support of israel&#39;s intentions/doings (even canadian ). so simply put, the media is feeding you what they want you to hear (you&#39;ve all heard that a million times now, won&#39;t hurt if you hear it again). what does this have to do with the assassination? everything. it&#39;s an act of war (correct me if i&#39;m wrong, and i probably am) that israel has commited, and therefore there should be intervention from the free world to stop this from escalating. where are the U.N. troops? where are the american troops? what happened to the peace plan in the middle east? i have a feeling that the media is just telling us that it&#39;s not an act of war (even though it is) and it was a just doing (and i agree it was, a contradiction i know, but honestly there could have been another way to do this without assassination involved). as for the intervention part, i like to say, leave to the american gov&#39;t, they&#39;ll know what to do, i &#39;ll take that with a grain of salt anyday.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Would you STFU, the original article is from the BBC, the second from Islamonline.

The beauty is that Islamic news sources are so balanced.

Seriously, we are getting the opinions from all sides.

I am American, and I think this was an act inconsistent with a country looking for peace.

Act 275, Scene 2435 in "stupid people, practicising stupid religions" , killing each other in the name of their loving Gods.

Could this get anymore deranged?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by cpt_azad@23 March 2004 - 23:05
    oh p.s., don&#39;t listen to western media, it&#39;s almost always manufactured consent. consent you ask? yes, there is nothing as a people or citizens we can do to stop the fighting going on in israel, mainly because it&#39;s israel and america (no offense to any americans, i used to live in america too and i like it as much as i do canada so please no harsh comments). but it&#39;s true, almost all western news/media is biased and it&#39;s views are in favour of or support of israel&#39;s intentions/doings (even canadian ). so simply put, the media is feeding you what they want you to hear (you&#39;ve all heard that a million times now, won&#39;t hurt if you hear it again). what does this have to do with the assassination? everything. it&#39;s an act of war (correct me if i&#39;m wrong, and i probably am) that israel has commited, and therefore there should be intervention from the free world to stop this from escalating. where are the U.N. troops? where are the american troops? what happened to the peace plan in the middle east? i have a feeling that the media is just telling us that it&#39;s not an act of war (even though it is) and it was a just doing (and i agree it was, a contradiction i know, but honestly there could have been another way to do this without assassination involved). as for the intervention part, i like to say, leave to the american gov&#39;t, they&#39;ll know what to do, i &#39;ll take that with a grain of salt anyday.
    On thing everyone is forgetting.........

Hamas, Al Qaeda, terrorists in general...KILL CIVILIANS

..almost indiscriminately

They kill children, women, old people, disabled..they don&#39;t care.

I agree that killing Yassin doesn&#39;t solve anything when trying for peace but guess what, suicide bombing HAS NOT stopped....so what are the lot of you talking about?

What would you do?

Kill indiscriminately or

Kill the leaders

Puhleeze

I say to hell with the grunts, go after the leaders
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast