Thread: Knoppix

BANNED
    hi guys, I am currently downloading knoppix, after downloading the very low-featured slax, and was wondering you view on it? I heard that is has good detection and was wondering if It would detect my speedstream dsl modem. it is usb. would it detect this, and can you give me some overall comments on knoppix itself? thx

bulio

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Knoppix will detect almost everything straight away.

You might need to find drivers for your DSL modem but the kernel should have all the necessary parts included to use USB. It might be the same deal with your printer as well, especially if it's USB.

The only bad point about knoppix is that it installs loads of stuff you wont need, so performance will not be as good as it could be. You can get rid of alot of stuff but imho its a pain in the arse as it takes ages. Plus you might not know what packages you do/dont need.

All in all, its a good distro to start off with, but I would recommend debian for the more experienced user.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    do i need to install anything at all to my hd, or is it totally on-the-fly booting?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by bulio
    do i need to install anything at all to my hd, or is it totally on-the-fly booting?
    You just boot from the CD and it wont touch your hard disk.

Of course any configuration changes you make will be lost when you reboot,

You can install it to the hard drive by typing knx-hdinstall (or it might be knoppix-hdinstall ) in a shell.

Something like that anyway

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    h1
    Both Knoppix versions are great (the security-oriented one and the Debian-based one).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    BANNED
    That's what i've heard I need a good boot cd 'cause theres no linux at school or work