Thread: Computer Lockup

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I have noticed for the last couple of days that my comp locks up when i leave it alone for a while (ie: after the monitor turns off) when i go to shake the mouse and wake it up, it just sits there. then a minute or so later, the numlock key wont respond, so i know its definitly locked up, so i have to hard boot it, and windows dont give the usuall message like "windows has recovered froma serious error" or nothing, it just reboots like normal. I have only noticed it doing it when i leave it alone for a period of time, like overnight, or for 5+ hours. I have hibernate diabled and monitor shut down set at 30mins and hard disks to never shut down. its not OC'd. should i reload windows and see if happens again from a fresh reload, or start un-installing programs?
    win XP pro

also, could my vid card be taking a shit?
    Radeon 9500 pro with 4.3 catylyst drivers

I think my comp has alzheimers and cant remember to wake up when i touch the mouse

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    What motherboard are you running,give us all the specs.What are your temps like?.Is this the same computer you were having trouble installing windows on last week?
    Gigabyte GA7-VT600 P-L
    Athlon XP2500+ @ 3200+
    512mb OCZ DDR333 (2,3,3,7)
    Samsung SP8004h 80gig harddrive
    Radeon 9200 128 mb
    LG cdrw/dvd drive

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I had that problem when I started folding on my linux pc.

I found out that my mobo wasn't giving quite enough juice to keep the processor stable. Increasing vcore by 0.025 volts cured the problem.

Apart from a reboot after a small mod that machine has now been up and folding for about 30 days.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    if your mouse and keyboard are both USB models, find the entries for the USB hubs in Windows Device Manager, and disable the options that say "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." that could be the reason why your mouse/keyboard are unresponsive.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@23 March 2004 - 00:41
    I have noticed for the last couple of days that my comp locks up when i leave it alone for a while (ie: after the monitor turns off) when i go to shake the mouse and wake it up, it just sits there. then a minute or so later, the numlock key wont respond, so i know its definitly locked up, so i have to hard boot it, and windows dont give the usuall message like "windows has recovered froma serious error" or nothing, it just reboots like normal. I have only noticed it doing it when i leave it alone for a period of time, like overnight, or for 5+ hours. I have hibernate diabled and monitor shut down set at 30mins and hard disks to never shut down. its not OC'd. should i reload windows and see if happens again from a fresh reload, or start un-installing programs?
    win XP pro

also, could my vid card be taking a shit?
    Radeon 9500 pro with 4.3 catylyst drivers

I think my comp has alzheimers and cant remember to wake up when i touch the mouse
    its called ur power supply prolly needs to be replaced: i had that problem when i tried running a DVD burner and my 5700u at the same time (burning all my movies while 3dmarking my card ) on a 150watt psu

yes, ur psu is either fucked or provides a fucking small wattage

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Yes atiVidia is correct, It use to happen to me like daily a few years back. My problem was a heavily overclocked processor frequently running on full load, multiple tasking and to top it off a 180watt PSU :helpsmile:.
    I wasn't going to buy it in the first place, so me downloading it for free isn't losing them any money.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by AcID ZeR0@23 March 2004 - 14:04
    Yes atiVidia is correct, It use to happen to me like daily a few years back. My problem was a heavily overclocked processor frequently running on full load, multiple tasking and to top it off a 180watt PSU :helpsmile:.
    btw that comp that i described still has the psu. all i did was unplug the power cable from my 5700 and it was fine (it slices the core and ram speeds in half, although it still reports the speeds unchanged. i got a 26000 on my 3dmark w/o a power source for the card )

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    im getting a new PSU in a few days, but i found the main (if not all) the cause of the lock ups. Shadows newest bit-torrent client (v 0.0.1) was causing lock ups. i just started backing progs out and ran the older version, and no lock up yet.