Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help The Newbie

:helpsmile:
    I am new to KL. I have downloaded a few mp3 files and when I play them, I get beeps in the middle of the music. In one case, I was downloading one artist, and when I play the files they all have the same song. Can someone help...

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    The RIAA is doing it to the songs in an atempt to stop music sharing, go HERE . Blubster is just for music downloading and its better than kazaa for getting music. Its faster than kazaa, nearly no songs have beeps in them and almost all songs are great quality.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-family:Arial'>Msi ms-6330
    Amd Athlon at 1ghz
    896mb Ram pc-133
    Seagate 80gb 7,200 rpm
    Nvidia Geforce MX 420
    21 inch screen
    MSI 52X32X52 CD-RW (cr52-m)
    SoundBlaster 5.1 mp3+
    Creative Labs 5.1 Speakers
    Xp Pro Sp1</span></span>

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Soulseek is a good alternative to Kazaa for music aswell
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

4. File Sharing   -   #4

Thank you for the information but Blubster installs too much "junk" and SoulSeek got real bad ratings. Can all the junk be suppressed when Blubster is installed?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by broward_B@29 March 2004 - 03:07
    SoulSeek got real bad ratings
    erm...where exactly did SS get bad ratings?
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    CNET...

I looked at all the negative comments. They are pretty strong. Do you feel otherwise? I don&#39;t want to expose my home network to spyware, adware, logging software and so on.

That is my concern.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by broward_B@29 March 2004 - 03:37
    CNET...

I looked at all the negative comments. They are pretty strong. Do you feel otherwise? I don&#39;t want to expose my home network to spyware, adware, logging software and so on.

That is my concern.
    Soulseek is one of the first programs I installed when I formatted. It is a great program, imho. Soulseek is totally free and contains NO adware or spyware. I reckon you should give it a try and make up your own mind, rather than taking CNET&#39;s opinion (or for that matter, my opinion)

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Poster
    Just been reading the Soulseek negative reviews on CNET there...

It&#39;s almost as much fun to read as Bash.org...

Looks like there&#39;s an abundance of 12 year old AOL users who post on CNET

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Poster
    A few examples of the negative feedback for Soulseek on CNET...

the only thing it does is rebooting my pc forever. leave it alone&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Come back when you don&#39;t sound retarded, kiddo&#33;

with soulseek you xan NEVER see teh files of anyt other of the users.
    Learn to spell and get put on some people&#39;s lists, then you can bitch about it...

yuo have to reconfigure your entire syustem for it to work and then it makes it so no other decentr p2p programs like kazaa work.
    I didn&#39;t have to change any of my system, only needing to allow internet access through Zone Alarm...
    Also, anyone who considers Kazaa a "decentr" p2p program obviously has a few screws loose...

and when you run it if you look in netstat it shows its opened up a ton of ports on ytour compouter ANTONE can attack&#33;&#33; tjis program is dangerous.
    erm...I&#39;m running soulseek now and only have 42 ports open IN TOTAL, across all of my programs...

and when you install it it sharesALL YOUR FILES so when you download from someone else you can easily get teh viruses.
    Actually, the default for Soulseek is to share no files...you must be special

also there is a virus goiung through the network that copies all files and gives them a .vbs extension so if you run them itll run the visual basic script inside them and give you a nasty virus.
    Yes, there is a virus going about Soulseek, but it doesn&#39;t rename files to *.vbs extensions, and if you have a half decent, updated anti virus, you will have no problems.

and if you run soulseek long enoug h like more than an hour or two it makes your hard drive spin so much that it will START TO SMOKE.
    Hyperbole never works...my hard drive never smokes when using Soulseek (funnily enough)

this makes it impossible to download much unless you have A REALLY FAST CONNECTION.
    Actually, we have a number of 56k (and lower connection speed) users who never complain about this...

OMG I ALMOST FORGOT YOU HAVE TO REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER AFTER EVERYTIME YOU CLOSE SOULSEEK OR YOU WILL ALMOST ALWAYS HAVE BAD RAM LEAKS THAT WILL MAKE YOUR COMPUTER VERY SLOW.
    Yeah, I agree on this one (though not to the extent). Soulseek does have a RAM leak (at least for me), after 24 hours use, it is using 40MB of my RAM. Hardly slowing my system down though

SOULSEEK IS ANNOYING AND THE USER INTERFACE IS THE WORST OF ANY IVE EVER SEEN. EVEN THE WIERD PEOPLE WHO USE THE THING ALL THE TIME COMPLAIN ON THEIR MESSAGE BOARDS ABOUT IT.
    User interface is subjective...but I think it&#39;s ok

AND THE SERVER IS ALWAYS DOWN.
    I literally cannot remember the last time the server was down. It used to be down frequently, but not recently...(touch wood)

I KEPT TRYING TO RECONNECT FOR 2 HOURS ONCE AND IT WOULDNT LET ME AND THERE WAS NO REASON GIVEN ON THEIR WEBSITE.
    I&#39;m pretty sure you&#39;d have seen that the server was down on the main page. If not, perhaps there were too many users on the system (120,000 I believe)

UNLIKE KAZAA SOULSEEK HAS NO COMMUNITY, ON KAZAA EVERYONE IS FRIENDLY AND THE MESSAGE BOARDS ARE FILLED IWTH NICE FRIEDNLY PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP ME.
    Right, so what is the Soulseek board for? Or the Soulseek section here?

ON SOUSEEK THEY ALL SAY THE SAAME WEIRD THINGS LIKE "PLZ2STFUKTHXBYE" IM SORRY I CANT UNDERSTAND THAT AT ALL.
    It means "Please Shut The Fcuk Up, OK, Thanks Bye&#33;"

LONG STORY SHORT SOULSEEK IS THE WORST PROGRAM IVE EVER DOWNLOADED IT. DO NOT GERT THIS. GO BACK TO KAZAA ITS 10000 TIMES BETTER AND SAFER.
    yeah, Kazaa is safer than Soulseek. Try setting up selective sharing on Kazaa

That&#39;s just the first two negative comments, I can&#39;t go on, I&#39;m laughing at these people too much

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Ok...

I installed SoulSeek. It is slooooow. But I like the fact that I can get albums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast