Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Faces $618m Fine In Eu Case

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    microsoft share value

$400 billion !!!!!!!!!! now that's better Mind you this was a 1999 report

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@23 March 2004 - 21:58
    holy shit r u saying it's worth more than that?

what is ur estimate of Microsoft's worth?

I am guessing half a trillion dollars....
    I'm saying they have $50billion in cash.

It is difficult to say how much they are are worth, but it will certainly be hundreds of billions. As my esteemed colleague says it is difficult to put any meaningful value on such a company. The share price fluctuates, the assets fluctuate, intellectual property is bought and sold all sorts of things happen.

The bottom line is that the fine is less than a months trading to the business, though in reality they could pay it from "readily available funds" if they so chose.

Again in reality Microsofts position in the world is poorly understood, because people think of it as synonymous with Bill Gates. He himself was at one time estimated as being worth the $50billion you speak of. Again fairly meaningless tho', when you consider that a few years ago MS shares traded at $90, but now I think it's about $25.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    It would be funny if MS stopped selling programs and supporting programs in Europe, it would temporally cause kaos.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@24 March 2004 - 00:22
    It would be funny if MS stopped selling programs and supporting programs in Europe, it would temporally cause kaos.
    No it wouldn&#39;t.

It is at best unlikely that even Microsoft could cause disruptions in space / time by not selling or supporting it&#39;s software.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Originally posted by J&#39;Pol+23 March 2004 - 19:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (J&#39;Pol &#064; 23 March 2004 - 19:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-<TROUBLE^MAKER>@24 March 2004 - 00:22
    No it wouldn&#39;t.

It is at best unlikely that even Microsoft could cause disruptions in space / time by not selling or supporting it&#39;s software. [/b][/quote]
    I don&#39;t think it would affect big corporation&#39;s who can afford to bring in some IT dudes to change to other systems. I do think it would have an effect on small business who can&#39;t afford to hustle in IT dudes since demand for them would increase causing there services to increase in cost.

Those who continued using it may find it hard to get security patches and other necessities, since MS knows the country of origin for every registered W O/S.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    the US dreamed it, the UE did it

The EU just ordered that Microsoft pay a fine of 497 millions euros (&#036;613m) for abusing its dominant market position.

It&#39;s a record for the EU in an antitrust case - but still not much for Microsoft.

But the best part is (from the BBC web site) :

"The UE has ordered Microsoft to reveal details of its Windows software codes within 120 days , to make it easier for rivals to design compatible products.

Microsoft must offer a stripped-down version of its Windows operating system minus the firm&#39;s MediaPlayer audiovisual software within 90 days ."

Of course, Microsoft has already said it will appeal, but still...
    What do you think ?

PS. I hope it&#39;s the right place for posting this, sorry mods if it&#39;s not...

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    The EU&#39;s demands reminds me of a child&#39;s Christmas list.
    I don&#39;t think they have the intestinal fortitude to enforce this and it&#39;s a bluff. Software can be quit elusive since it&#39;s not a physical object, if MS refuses the demands all the EU can do is pull MS&#39;s products from the market. The US would never extradite MS executives for what it see&#39;s at free market capitalism.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Originally posted by <TROUBLE^MAKER>@24 March 2004 - 14:45
    If MS refuses the demands all the EU can do is pull MS&#39;s products from the market
    Well, don&#39;t you see it&#39;s a huge decision already ?

Who talked about extradition of Bill Gates and Co ? The UE sure can&#39;t, and doesn&#39;t want that. Still, if you&#39;re a company and you&#39;re fordidden to sell your products (and I remind you we haven&#39;t reach that point yet, and probably never will), it&#39;s a BIG problem...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Poster
    The appeals will go on for months or years. However at the end of the day the EU will enforce the fine. MS will pay the fine, which may or may not be reduced as part of the appeal process.

They will also enforce the other punitive measures, albeit after the appeals process is complete.

When you talk about "all the EU can do is pull MS&#39;s products from the market. " we are talking about a huge market. Bearing in mind that the vast bulk of software in the Far East is pirated, then they need the European Market.

No one said anything about extraditing anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Originally posted by jobauer+24 March 2004 - 12:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jobauer @ 24 March 2004 - 12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-<TROUBLE^MAKER>@24 March 2004 - 14:45
    If MS refuses the demands all the EU can do is pull MS&#39;s products from the market
    Well, don&#39;t you see it&#39;s a huge decision already ?

Who talked about extradition of Bill Gates and Co ? The UE sure can&#39;t, and doesn&#39;t want that. Still, if you&#39;re a company and you&#39;re fordidden to sell your products (and I remind you we haven&#39;t reach that point yet, and probably never will), it&#39;s a BIG problem... [/b][/quote]
    In the USA if someone refuses a court order they are arrested, so if the EU court said cough up 600 million and they refused an arrest is about the only recourse possible besides seizing money assets but there in the USA.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast