Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Faces $618m Fine In Eu Case

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    The EU most likely took into account Microsoft's worldwide sales.

Microsoft adds that is unprecedented to take into account global operations when looking at one part of the world.

The EU also wants to restrict MS from bundling WMP into Windows sold in Europe and divulge technical information that will allow competitors to more easily design server software to link with Windows PCs.

Previously, the highest fine imposed was $571M against Hoffman-La Roche in 2001 for leading a vitamin cartel.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The European courts see things differently from the US in that they look at fair practices for the consumer ahead of the company. This case looks like Ms is being punished for trying to create a monopoly, something viewed as being anti consumer and pro profiteer.
    The size of the fine possibly does take microsofts worldwide turnover into account as it would be viewed as a punishment that would bite and not just something that would be shrugged off.
    Personally I see nothing wrong with MS putting as much software into windows as they wish, however they are making it hard for other companies to make compatible software.
    It is interesting that Microsoft are helping to fund the legal battle against linux and the use of code

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Originally posted by vidcc@23 March 2004 - 14:20
    The European courts see things differently from the US in that they look at fair practices for the consumer ahead of the company. This case looks like Ms is being punished for trying to create a monopoly, something viewed as being anti consumer and pro profiteer.
    The size of the fine possibly does take microsofts worldwide turnover into account as it would be viewed as a punishment that would bite and not just something that would be shrugged off.
    Personally I see nothing wrong with MS putting as much software into windows as they wish, however they are making it hard for other companies to make compatible software.
    It is interesting that Microsoft are helping to fund the legal battle against linux and the use of code
    It's rather weird. All of this started when Netscape, who had 90% of the browser market, lost market share to Microsoft.

I wish Microsoft would bundle Office with Windows. Then I'll watch the government tell me that it's bad for the consumer . What's also interesting is to see alot of CONSUMERS jump on the anti-Microsoft antitrust bandwagon when they can't even tell how they are being harmed.

btw Microsoft IS a monopoly. Who uses OS2/Warp?
    also MS has 52 billion so this fine is still a scratch.

Regarding Linux, that was interesting that Microsoft was one of the first to pony a Linux license to SCO. SCO winning licensing from others would actually help MS due to the code no longer being open source.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Poster
    On what are you basing your estimate that Microsoft has 52 Billion.

I assume you mean dollars, or do you mean another currency.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by J'Pol@23 March 2004 - 10:53

it's commonly understood, in US dollars

i was surprised that you didn't know

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+23 March 2004 - 21:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 23 March 2004 - 21:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-J&#39;Pol@23 March 2004 - 10:53

it&#39;s commonly understood, in US dollars

i was surprised that you didn&#39;t know [/b][/quote]
    You say it&#39;s commonly understood that Microsoft is worth &#036;52 Billion.

Can you perhaps point me to some sort of evidence of this. It&#39;s not that I don&#39;t believe you, honestly. It&#39;s just that I find it staggering.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Double Agent
    ya i just heard this figure on an american news channel yesterday, they were reporting on this new and the anchor said " It&#39;s a small price for Microsoft to pay since it is a company that is worth 52 billion dollars"

I&#39;ll find a news source on this

I heard this on a Seattle news channel btw....

EDIT: damn it i can&#39;t find it atm, perhaps later...

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    I&#39;m not sure, but I think you will find it has Cash Reserves of that level.

The fine is less than a months income to Microsoft, who made over &#036;32 Billion last year. It made &#036;11 Billion from Windows alone.

As far as I am aware Microsoft is not worth &#036;52 Billion, or anything even remotely close to it.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Double Agent
    holy shit r u saying it&#39;s worth more than that?

what is ur estimate of Microsoft&#39;s worth?

I am guessing half a trillion dollars....

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    The figure would probably be an estimate based on the amount each share is worth on the stock market...hard assets both fixed and liquid such as property and inventory probably wouldn&#39;t be worth that amount, but you have to look at it as a going concern with worth in both customer base and good repute.
    The tech industry although highly competetive and cut throat is the future for now so to me it&#39;s supprising that the estimate is ONLY &#036;52 billion for what is lets face it...the alpha male

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast