Thread: Whats The Qyality Mean?

BANNED
    i know that 128 quality is the standard but somtimes i hear no difference in quality between 128 and say 256 what does it mean and is it possible to convert 128 quality to 256 is there a program?

2. Music   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    The new standard is 192kbps, and this refers to the quality of the rip, or more importantly how it was sampled during the rip. Higher is definitely better.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

3. Music   -   #3
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    so what equals CD quality?

4. Music   -   #4
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    320kbps = CD quality but those files are really, really big. 192kbps is the perfect blend of compression and quality. You really have to have a well trained ear to notice the difference between 192, 256, and 320. However the difference between 192 and 128 is huge in my opinion.--

Jibbler
    Proud member of MDS

5. Music   -   #5
    Poster
    If you have ripped or copied music at 128bit & convert it to a higher bitrate it will not improve the sound quality. It has to be ripped or copied at a high bitrate first. Personally i use SoundForge for editing all my music, but it is a very extensive program. It will be very daunting for a newbie to this kind of program.

6. Music   -   #6
    Ynhockey's Avatar Poster
    Hmm, i&#39;d say that if you&#39;re using normal headphones or have weak speakers (600w and below), you won&#39;t even notice the difference between 128k and 192k... but otherwise, better quality is usually better imho...