Thread: Omfg, Devils Knot, True Story, Worst Murder

dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Devil's Knot - The true story of the west memphis three

By Mara Leveritt

----------

In 1993, West Memphis, three 8yr olds were found murdered in a drainage ditch in a forest. They were naked with with there hands and feet tied behind there backs by shoestrings. The left hand would be tied to the right foot, and the right hand tied to the left foot. One of the boys scrotum was cut off and his penis was skinned. The police said that it was possibly 'gang or cult' activity. A local woman said that Satan worshiping took place in the woods. The man in charge of the investigation said that the case number was, coincidently, 93-05-0666. Years later, it was discovered that the case number was actually 93-05-0555. It just got worst from there.

Police made 3 arrests after ignoring important leads, and focusing on biased stories with MANY MANY MANY conflicting details.

Michael Damien Echos - 19,Pegan, practiced white witchcraft. Had mental problems, wore all black, extremely arrogent to the police because he knew he was innocent. He was known to drink blood, and had E-V-I-L tatooed on his knuckles. Everyone believed he worshipped satan. Was accused of threatening to kill someone a year prior.

Jason Baldwin - 17,Average to good student, won awards for perfect attendance. Listened to metal music. Thought to be the leader of the murders. In an essay he wrote for school just a month prior to the murders, he wrote. "If I could be anyone, I would want to be myself. I know I have my flaws but doesn't everybody. My greatest gift is art. When I graduate I want to do CD covers for bands, maybe get my own tattoo shop someday"

Jessie Misskelly - 17, Mildly retarded, has in IQ of a 3rd grader. Grew up in a rough family, his dad was a drunk. Got into lots of fights.

They were supposedly part of a 'Satanic Cult', it was discovered months after the arrests that Jessie didn't even know who satan was. While talking to his lawer he asked "Who is Satin", like the fabric.

The Police had NO evidence connecting any of them to the crime. They just listened to rumers about Damien.

After months of questioning finally they got an eye witness to the account, Jessie.
    He didn't know anything about the murders. They questioned him for 7 hours, and whenever he got something wrong they would yell at him and tell him what actually happened, then they would question him again, and Jessie would just say what the investigators told him. After that interogation, they decided it was time to record the questioning.

1. Jessie claimed that the murders happened early that morning, they met at the woods at about 9:30 AM and he left at around 12:00. The victims were in school until 4:00 that afternoon.

2. Jessie claimed that he got to the forest and Damien hit one of the boys. The boy began to run towards the houses (North), Jessie ran after the boy and brought him back. Later in the questioning Jessie said the the boy ran towards the large pipes (South).

3. They asked which boy Damian had hit, Jessie pointed to a boy in a picture and said "Micheal Moore", but it wasn't Michael Moore he was pointing at, it was Chris Byers.

4. "So you saw Damien strike Chris in the head?" Jessie had not said that Damien striked him in the head, but Jessie said "yeah."

5. "They then began beating the other boys, so I left"
    "So you came back a little later and all three boys are tied?"
    Jessie never said anything about returning to the scene, but replied "Ya"

6. "Where the boys naked?"
    "Yes"
    "When where the clothes removed?"
    "After they beat them up real badly. Then they tied them up. They started cutting them and stuff so I went home. They called later asking why I left early. I said I couldn't watch them do it anymore"
    "What time did they call?"
    "About 9:00 PM"
    And now Jessie never left the scene until after they were tied up.

7. "What time were you in the park? When did this all happen"
    "About 12:00"
    The police knew this still didn't fit
    "So, was it after school let out?"
    "I didn't go to school"
    "The little boys?"
    "They skipped school"
    NO THEY DIDN'T

8. "Where the boys alive when you left."
    "Yeah"

9. Jessie kept on saying that only the hands were tied, he never mentioned the feet being tied up as well.
    "Where there hands tied in a fashion that they could run?"
    "They could run."

9. "Now answer truthfully, did you hit any of the boys"
    "No"
    "Did you rape any of the boys"
    "no"
    "did you kill any of the boys"
    "no"
    "did you see any of the boys get killed?"
    "yes"
    "Which one was killed?"
    Jessie pointed to Chris Byers again.
    "how was the boy killed?"
    "he choked him real bad and all"
    "with what did he choke him?"
    "with a stick, holding it over his throat"
    None of the boys had any sign of abuse to the neck, only a few scratches. Chris Byers actually sustained a major injury that killed him, but Jessie never mentioned it. Now Jessie witnessed only one of the murders and went home.

10. "So you witnessed the boys being murdered and then went home."
    Jessie never said he witnessed the other 2 boy's murder
    "So you got home, when did they call you? 30 minutes later, an Hour?"
    "an hour"
    Previously (#6) Jessie said they didn't call until 9 pm.

11.They took a 20 minute break, the recorder was turned off. They came back and continued on to 'clear up' some discrepansies.
    "When you were at the woods and the little boys came up, what time was it?"
    "5 or 6"
    "You told me earlier that it was around 7 or 8. Which time was it" (Jessie never said that)
    "7 or 8. It was starting to get dark"
    So now, the murders happened at night, rather than that morning.

12. "what were the boys tied up with"
    "a rope"
    "what color was the rope"
    "brown"
    The boys were tied up with shoestrings.

12 hours after Jessie got to the police station the questioning was over. He was arrested immediatly afterwards.

This interogation lead to the questioning of the neighbor boy who also now claimed to have been there. He gives a completely different story about what happened. They question him again, his story doesn't match his first story, they question him again, and again there were major discrepancies between his stories and what really happened, but police were able to use these 2 conflicting eye witness accounts to get arrest warrents on Damien and Jason.

This is just barely touching extent that the police went to get these people arrested. I'm not done with the book yet, but from what I here it gets far far worse. I know that they are found guilty.

THIS IS A MUST READ!!!!!!
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Originally posted by dwightfry@23 March 2004 - 19:08
    THIS IS A MUST READ!!!!!!
    the thread is?

sorry it was a bit long for me - I just read the last line

3. Lounge   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Originally posted by samsamsamsam+24 March 2004 - 00:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (samsamsamsam @ 24 March 2004 - 00:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-dwightfry@23 March 2004 - 19:08
    THIS IS A MUST READ&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
    the thread is?

sorry it was a bit long for me - I just read the last line [/b][/quote]

I agree but the title of this thread is great

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Some metal fans killed some people and the cops framed them
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by 4th gen@23 March 2004 - 17:28
    Some metal fans killed some people and the cops framed them
    Nobody was really framed, no evidence was planted (or at least not until the trials started), the point is that there was no evidence at all. Kids who didn&#39;t like Damien would lie, others would tell the truth but the police wouldn&#39;t believe them and question them until they said what the police wanted to hear. One boy saw the three 8yr olds get into a car being driven by a black man, a black mans hair was found on the body. The police didn&#39;t bother to look into that, instead they question the boy until the boy started saying that he witnessed the murders and ran home, then he got caught by the murderers and got away, and then he was forced to gut one of the boys and fill a bucket up with the childs blood. His stories ended up getting so far fetched that even the police wouldn&#39;t use them. But nearly all the other witnesses who claimed to hear Damien admit to the murders later admitted that they lied.

One of the murdered boy&#39;s father gave a knife to a camera crew from out of state as a &#39;gift&#39;. (The camera crue would then leave and take the knife out of the state)The knife had his sons blood on it. He claimed that he had never used the knife before. It was hidden up in his closet for 2 years and there was no way that his kids got ahold of it. They did blood tests and found out the father had the same blood type as the kid, and suddenly he remembered that he cut himself with it, and that was that. The defendants couldn&#39;t use it as evidence.

I promise that if you read the book it will piss you off. Trust me, you won&#39;t be taking it so lightly. It&#39;s truely appaling that this kind of thing can happen in our legal system, or any legal system for that matter.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-

6. Lounge   -   #6
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Did the families appeal to get the case reopened?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by MagicNakor@24 March 2004 - 09:58
    Did the families appeal to get the case reopened?

Yeah, they have appealed, but they keep on bringing back the same fricken judge. Basically the judge just says, "I did everything right" and nothing happens.

(I haven&#39;t read this part yet, this is just what I was told by the person who gave me the book)

One boy saw the three 8yr olds get into a car being driven by a black man, a black mans hair was found on the body
    Also, a local restaurant owner called the police the night of the murders saying that a black man, who seemed dazed, covered in blood came into his restaurant and spent an hour in the women&#39;s bathroom. The police came and took blood samples but they were lost.
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-
    -Dwight Fry-