Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do Softwares Track How Long We Have Used Them

I wonder how do softwares (trials) keep a track of how long or how many times we have used them
    I wanna know this for 2 reasons
    1) I hate those trail / demo versions(but generally find a way to get a crack )

2) I really hate to think that even after uninstalling these softwarez and try to reinstall them they remember for how long I used them.
    From privicy prespective I hate to think that even after uninstalling the software(and cleanig the registry) it left somting in my comp that I did not want(hidden file/registry key)

So...

Is there any software that tracks what all a software installed(files,registry keys etc) while instalation and help me truly clean my system when I unstallall a program.Coz what I want is that that after I install a programm it shold not leave any trace on my system ..hence once I re-install the same software it should not have any ways to know I had install it before
    <span style='color:purple'>The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother&#39;s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    use an instalation utility to track the installed files ect , then u can remove everything

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by gd3110@24 March 2004 - 01:48
    I wonder how do softwares (trials) keep a track of how long or how many times we have used them
    I wanna know this for 2 reasons
    1) I hate those trail / demo versions(but generally find a way to get a crack )

2) I really hate to think that even after uninstalling these softwarez and try to reinstall them they remember for how long I used them.
    From privicy prespective I hate to think that even after uninstalling the software(and cleanig the registry) it left somting in my comp that I did not want(hidden file/registry key)

So...

Is there any software that tracks what all a software installed(files,registry keys etc) while instalation and help me truly clean my system when I unstallall a program.Coz what I want is that that after I install a programm it shold not leave any trace on my system ..hence once I re-install the same software it should not have any ways to know I had install it before
    you are looking for Norton Clean Sweep

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Thanks.. could you all suggest some more utill.
    like Norton Clean Sweep is one
    <span style='color:purple'>The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother&#39;s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    b4icu's Avatar Greater Demon
    great avatar~&#33;
    Never miss a good chance to shut up

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@24 March 2004 - 12:18
    you are looking for Norton Clean Sweep
    does that also clean norton shit out of the registry????????
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    jv16 powertools
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Thanks FKDUP74 I will try this soft
    and yaa b4icu I love this avataar too

any more suggestions

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor
    Originally posted by FKDUP74@24 March 2004 - 15:23
    jv16 powertools
    Great tool but doesn&#39;t clean all the registry keys which give away the time you tried a trialversion. Had this with some progs, cleaned the registry with JV and Ace Utilities but still after installing again the nagscreen came up to tell me the trial period expired.
    So basically you can use regedit and the searchoption in it. Search the entire registry for keys with the name of the programm and the name of the vendor/maker. Delete them.
    Also there could be a hidden .dll which contains the info.
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    well that is exactly what I am trig to look for
    Is there a ware that logs waht all files and regis entry were made by a promram so that I can search them and delete the manually if the uninstaller does not do it (like in most Time and Use Ltd software some info will always be left by default)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast