Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Against All Enemies.........

Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Excerpts from "Against All Enemies: Inside America's War on Terror" by Richard A. Clarke

Published: March 23, 2004

On Preparing for Other Attacks

I expected to go back to a round of meetings examining what the next attacks could be, what our vulnerabilities were, what we could do about them in the short term. Instead, I walked into a series of discussions about Iraq. At first I was incredulous that we were talking about something other than getting Al Qaeda. Then I realized with almost a sharp physical pain that Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz were going to try to take advantage of this national tragedy to promote their agenda about Iraq. Since the beginning of the administration, indeed well before, they had been pressing for a war with Iraq. My friends in the Pentagon had been telling me that the word was we would be invading Iraq sometime in 2002.

On the morning of the 12th D.O.D.'s focus was already beginning to shift from Al Qaeda. C.I.A. was explicit now that Al Qaeda was guilty of the attacks, but Paul Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld's deputy, was not persuaded. It was too sophisticated and complicated an operation, he said, for a terrorist group to have pulled off by itself, without a state sponsor — Iraq must have been helping them.

On Links to Saddam Hussein

Later, on the evening of the 12th, I left the video conferencing center and there, wandering alone around the situation room, was the president. He looked like he wanted something to do. He grabbed a few of us and closed the door to the conference room. "Look," he told us, "I know you have a lot to do and all . . . but I want you, as soon as you can, to go back over everything, everything. See if Saddam did this. See if he's linked in any way."

I was once again taken aback, incredulous, and it showed. "But, Mr. President, Al Qaeda did this."

"I know, I know, but — see if Saddam was involved. Just look. I want to know any shred——"

"Absolutely, we will look — again.` I was trying to be more respectful, more responsive. `But you know, we have looked several times for state sponsorship of Al Qaeda and not found any real linkages to Iraq. Iran plays a little, as does Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, Yemen.`

"Look into Iraq, Saddam," the president said testily and left us.

On Condoleezza Rice

As I briefed Rice on Al Qaeda, her facial expression gave me the impression that she had never heard of the term before, so I added, "Most people think of it as Osama bin Laden's group, but it's much more than that. It's a network of affiliated terrorist organizations with cells in over 50 countries, including the U.S."

Rice looked skeptical. She focused on the fact that my office staff was large by N.S.C. standards (12 people) and did operational things, including domestic security issues. She said, "The N.S.C. looks just as it did when I worked here a few years ago, except for your operation. It's all new. It does domestic things, and it is not just doing policy. . . . I'm not sure we want to keep all of this in the N.S.C."

Richard E. Clarke.

Is he a Rat walking in now elections are coming or is he the messiah freeing us from the meathead.......

Discuss.......

Yogi

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The "Rat" option would be the proper selection.

Trust me on this one.

Also:

If anyone is watching the 9/11 hearings on anything less than a live feed, forget it; the consequent reportage will be a contextual mess.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Originally posted by j2k4
    The "Rat" option would be the proper selection.

Trust me on this one.
    I don't mean to question your trustworthiness but could you offer some reasons for the "rat selection"?

From what I've heard the guy has worked in the security services for over 20 years, has served under 4 different administrations. I've also seen an interview with him where he explicitly ruled out a career in politics and has said he doesn't endorse either candidate in the upcoming election.

Even if you don't like what he's saying you can't deny the fact that he's dedicated a large proportion of his life to defending you and your loved ones. Yet now he's a 'rat'?

Unless the man is telling blatant lies, surely this is the best time for the American public to know what's going on inside the Whitehouse before they make their decision?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Here is what sways me:

1. After being fired, he send a glowing letter to GWB praising his (GWB's) committment to fighting terrorism, and also his approach to dealing with the problems inherent in doing so (I gather this last had to do with diplomatic matters).

2. It arises that, when the Department of Homeland Security was formed, Clarke lobbied hard for the number 2 position there behind Tom Ridge.

When he was not chosen for the job, his pique was (according to admittedly anecdotal recollections) described as being of "legendary" proportion.

This indicates to me that he has a rampant ego/temperament problem, which fits my supposition rather well.

3. Timing, timing, timing.

There is an election just around the corner; and it happens that, along with Paul O'Neill and a few others, that Clarke is just the latest in a line of opportunists hoping to perhaps be rewarded with a post of some sort in a democrat administration.

Sorry, lefty-that's a rat in my eyes.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Interesting.

Could you provide sources for your first two points please?

I'll have to take issue with point number 3 though. He's explicitly stated that he will not take a job in any administration and that he doesn't endorse either candidate.

I've seen a lot of 'spin' coming from both directions so I'll delay my judgement on this one.

However... his allegations do seem to make a lot of sense and considering the guy's worked with every President since Reagan I find it hard to believe that he's motivated by politics, is so incompetent he got fired and has never had his ego damaged in the course of duty before.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    In an interview he said that the book was planned to be released 3 months ago but the whitehouse wouldn't let it until now. So the timing was the caused by the whitehouse, not him.

....or so he says.

(BTW, I believe he's freeing us from a meathead)
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Originally posted by leftism@24 March 2004 - 10:48
    Interesting.

I'll let you do that yourself, lefty.

There is, however, a late-breaking bit of news which bears rather heavily on Mr. Clarke, his book, and his imminent testimony.

I hope the commissioners get a chance to review this before they entertain Mr. Clarke this afternoon.

I'll even provide a link:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,115085,00.html

This is, to say the least, very interesting.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Originally posted by j2k4+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j2k4)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-leftism

Interesting.

I&#39;ll let you do that yourself, lefty.[/b][/quote]

It&#39;s your responsibility to back up your points, not mine.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Just a theory here.
    We make a big thing about people that speak out after they are "fired" and often take their speaking out as nothing more than sour eggs and revenge.
    Could it be that people do it at this time because they are finally able to.? One has a duty when one is employed to not harm ones employer. I am sure there are many people that have positions in government that disagree with many things that go on but do not air those views because of professionalism in their work.
    As to timing..yes i agree...but people are fickle and forgetful so the lead up to an election would be a good time. It&#39;s funny how many forget tax increases at the beginning of a term if they get a reduction just before the election

The factual base behind his "story " will be open to interpretaion, believed by some, despised by others.
    funny though, if someone states how wonderful things are we love them...if they suggest that things are less than perfect we despise them. Yet it is only because people draw attention to the seedier side of life that we can improve.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by leftism+24 March 2004 - 12:36--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leftism &#064; 24 March 2004 - 12:36)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by j2k4@
    <!--QuoteBegin-leftism

Interesting.

I&#39;ll let you do that yourself, lefty.
    It&#39;s your responsibility to back up your points, not mine.[/b][/quote]
    Did you check the link or not, lefty?

If so, and you care to comment, that&#39;s fine.

If not, I&#39;ll leave the thread to you.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast