Thread: Open Source Alternatives

Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Okay, apparantly my new sig has been getting a lot of attention recently despite only being about two days old - I've been getting PMs from a few people and also there's been a few arguments with others (say no more ). As I know it's likely to happen anyway, I'll open the floodgates myself

That signature of mine shows open-source alternatives to Microsoft products, naturally sparked by the recent EU case As you guys are putting a lot of alternatives down (especially for Minesweeper) - Why don't you guys think of some more?
    • Must replace an aspect of Microsoft, be it part of Windows, Office, etc. There's no point putting down an alternative to Photoshop, as it's Adobe that run that - Other companies may be in another version of the sig
    • Must be free in one sense or another (Fits practically all open-source though due to the GPL Licence)
    • Must work on all popular platforms - At the mininum, Windows or Linux. If it also works on Mac, good job. Bonus points if it works on more platforms (e.g. OS/2)
    • Must be easy for a casual user to use - The most obvious way to say this is GUIs. If it's a command, it better have a command language that's verging on retarded

I'll use as many as I can, but in the end I may have to pick only the best - The sig rules apply even for text

You guys have been bitching to me about the programs in the signature, now b***dy do it here!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    TRshady
    out look express > Thunder Bird

(good idea for a sig by the way )

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    D&#39;oh - Can&#39;t believe I forgot that one, especially as I use it myself >_<

A very worthy addition to the sig if I do say so myself

EDIT: 7th, you added a text limit to the sig system as well??? It&#39;s getting too long, so for now just keep giving the alternatives and any more important than the ones shown will replace some.

I&#39;ll try to get the load of these in a Lamsey-esque interactive sig when I can

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    How about you mirror SourceForge and put it in your sig.

*sighs*

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by shn@25 March 2004 - 09:59
    How about you mirror SourceForge and put it in your sig.&nbsp;

*sighs*
    a) Too easy to link, B) which projects are the best alternatives are unknown to me as I only use GAIM from SF (and I&#39;m not going to proclaim myself an expert on what I haven&#39;t seen), and c) Not always the best open-source options - But close

SourceForge is a great source of open-source but open-source doesn&#39;t start & finish there - None of the alternatives run so far is run under SourceForge (though honestly that was a co-incidence - I thought there would&#39;ve been one in the sig already )

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Open source only? Can&#39;t be freeware only?

Guess you&#39;re familiar with these open source windows apps: http://osswin.sourceforge.net/