Thread: Black Lines

SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    My web pages look fine in IE but after reading about the problems that other users may experience and seeing other people use other browsers I decided to have a look for myself.

When I view them in Firefox I see that some of the tables which were invisable in IE (and front page) appear. Sometimes its a whole table and sometimes it's just some lines.

What is causing this and how do I fix it? Is it purely because I've used front page to configure the web pages or that I haven't set the firefox browser up correctly? Would using another WSIWYG html creator fix this (a quick search on google suggests that programs such as Dreamweaver may have problems when it comes to search engine spiders picking them up).

Also if it looks like this in FF then what does it look like in other browsers...

Demo URL = http://www.Delta-Goodrem.tk

IE

Image Resized
    [img]http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/SeK612/IEBlackLines001.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

FireFox

Image Resized
    [img]http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v56/SeK612/FFBlackLines001.jpg' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    Poster
    Try redesigning the page with another editor, how about aracnophilia?

It may be because you're using FrontPage as your editor...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Any ideas one which bits to edit? It seems that some of the "invisible" tables that have been made in front page are not picked up as being invisible in firefox

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    man i wouldnt worry about it , as long as it is compatable with IE and netscape

you will cover about 99% of the ppl who are going to visit it

the problem lies with firefox and not your coding, who ever designed firefox should have made it compatable with at least IE or netscape

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by delphin460@7 April 2004 - 09:31
    man i wouldnt worry about it , as long as it is compatable with IE and netscape

you will cover about 99% of the ppl who are going to visit it

the problem lies with firefox and not your coding, who ever designed firefox should have made it compatable with at least IE or netscape
    No, the problem lies with the Microsoft software (frontpage), which is deliberately coded to be incompatible with some browsers. If you want the page to be viewable in all browsers "correctly", you should straight code it in html, using notepad or aracnophilia...
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #6
    im not sure thats correct cause i have seen dreamweaver html that is bad in firefox also, perhaps firefox cant handle the extended html coding

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #7
    h1
    Firefox uses the Gecko engine, which is fully W3C compliant.

The problem lies with M$'s crappy proprietary engine.

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #8
    Poster
    That, and IE is more lenient with malformed HTML.

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #9
    h1
    Firefox is too, but only when it's rendering in quirks mode. If you have a well-defined document, with the doctype and everything, it'll render in standards compliance mode and will die on malformed HTML.