Thread: Linux On A Portable Drive

BANNED
    hi guys, I am currenlty thinking of buying a portable hard drive an putting a linux os on it so I don't have to parition my work computer. Is it possible just to plug the usb cable in and have linux run, or do I need to set up a boot manager. And if i need a bott manager, how do i get rid of it when i unplug my hd? thx

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    u can put linux on a usb drive and boot straight form that if your computer supports it, or a usb hdd may work the same way. or u could use a floppy tro boot linux

edit: also to remove the lilo bootloader if u have set it as the mbr. all you do is run /sbin/lilo -u

or run fdisk /mbr from a dos disk if that doesnt work.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    what about if i install it on an internal drive e: the drive is paritioned and ready, but can I run it without a boot manger?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    you could install it and put the bootmanager on a floppy so that it isnt touching the normal boot. or if u do use the linux bootloader, then all u need to do to get rid of it is boot from a win9x startup disk and run fdisk /mbr

and the bootmanager will have the options to boot windows there, and form floppy too, so bit mroe handy than norml boot. and u could prob set windows as default aswell if u wanted, so that it booted windows within 10secs if nothing is done.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    ok thx livy, i'll try that