Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frequent Broadband Disconnections

OK, I've been having a problem with my broadband connection. This has been happening to me almost everyday, and is a real annoyance. Ok, so i'll be browsing the web, streaming online videos, or playing an online game, and all of a sudden, on my XP taskbar, a little icon will appear and a bubble will popup saying "Local Area Connection - A Local Network Cable has been unplugged." It stays there for about 2-7 seconds, which is enough to disrupt things. If I'm streaming a video, it stops; playing an online game, i get disconnected; browsing a webpage, it stops loading. This is extremely annoying. I know it is probably not my computer because I have a home network through my Linksys Router, and it happens to my other two computers. What can be causing this problem? :helpsmile:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    thats weird. i only get that like once or twice a month. but those disconnections are caused by my router. i just take out the power cord and put back in, and it goes back to normal. maybe call ur isp

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    its for sure not ur isp, its either ur network card or ur router causing the problem.

you could try using different drivers, newer ones preferably, but that didnt help on my old computer. I bought a new network card for it and it never gets that message displayed anymore.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@25 March 2004 - 18:16
    its for sure not ur isp, its either ur network card or ur router causing the problem.

you could try using different drivers, newer ones preferably, but that didnt help on my old computer. I bought a new network card for it and it never gets that message displayed anymore.
    I highly doubt it is my network card. I am on my brand new HP computer... its only been running since mid-January....

i just take out the power cord and put back in, and it goes back to normal.
    The thing is, is that it automatically goes away after about 3 seconds. However, that 3 seconds is enough to interrupt with what I am doing....

Also, I KNOW its NOT my ISP. About 5 of my friends have the same ISP as me, but they arent having this problem.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    jetje's Avatar former star
    is it adsl or cable? I have adsl and in the beginning had something similar. After a driver update for the modem/router it was fixed!
    Another thing could be the setting full duplex in your ethernet card in the pc...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by downloader2008+25 March 2004 - 19:35--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (downloader2008 @ 25 March 2004 - 19:35)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@25 March 2004 - 18:16

I highly doubt it is my network card. I am on my brand new HP computer... its only been running since mid-January....

i just take out the power cord and put back in, and it goes back to normal.
    The thing is, is that it automatically goes away after about 3 seconds. However, that 3 seconds is enough to interrupt with what I am doing....

Also, I KNOW its NOT my ISP. About 5 of my friends have the same ISP as me, but they arent having this problem. [/b][/quote]
    it could very likely still be teh network card.

but for sure its not ur ISP, as you have already found.

first try updated drivers for ur network card, and if they dont help the problem i would try a network card from another pc in ur pc to see if the problem occurs with this network card also.

if it does: then the problem is definately with ur router OR your network cable.

if it doesnt: then the problem is definately with your network card.

most wired network cards are only like &#036;10 anyway, so youll be lucky if thats the problem, becuase all of the other parts cost a lot more. (router is like &#036;70, wires are unbeleivably expensive, probably around 20bucks for 20 feet)

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    if you are on adsl, make sure you have line filters on all the other phone connections in your house, except the adsl line its self

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Don&#39;t think you can&#39;t have a hardware problem(network card) or a software issue(outdated drivers) just because you have a new computer.

I mean, it&#39;s just plain ignorant to think such a thing. After-all, there&#39;s a reason that a warranty is given. No manufacturer is perfect. None.

That being said, contact the mfg. See if there are any updates to be had.

(BTW, chances are you have an on-board network interface if it&#39;s an HP. You can still add a network card for cheap if worse comes to worse.)

You may want to contact your ISP, but like those above, it sounds like a software issue.

Good luck with it....

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    This problem could even be caused by your phone line.

If you&#39;ve got a slightly dodgy line you could be getting intermittent breaks which causes this problem, particularly if the head end of your adsl circuit is near the maximum distance.

My brother had exactly that problem last weekend during the storms, he&#39;s never had the problem before and it isn&#39;t happening now. The violent weather was obviously affecting his line.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    well, the thing thats affecting me is the fact that i can only connect at 64KB&#33;&#33;&#33;
    godamnit&#33;

im getting this modem guys....

what you think...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast