Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Cooling Questions

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well, ive been playing a lotta star wars galaxies, and my computers running a little slower nowadays, will cooling it down help it go a lil' faster, like some thermal paste and a new fan or two, maybe some thermal paste for my video card, don't wanna waste money, any help would be great

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    if you manage to get it cool you can try overclocking your processor to make it go faster

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    im using all the stock stuff, well stock mobo, cpu and ram, and its a compaq, so theres no option to increase the fsb so i don't think overclocking is possible, and on another note, i got about a 30sec response, now thats service

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    the only way u will get higher performance from cooling was if u were to overclock it, but since u cant, thats out of the question.

you should do ur antivirus scanning, spyware scanning, defragment, uninstall programs u dont need, go to msconfig>startup tab and stop any programs from opening which u dont need to open. usually the only things u need to open are antivirus and video driver helper programs, thats about all that is needed, and this will improve ur performance a lot. last go to start>run>services.msc and disable any services u dont need, the biggest resource hoggers are indexing service and system restore service. if u dont want to have the xp theming u can disable that too and it will save a bit of ram.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    ok thanks, is there anyway to mess with a compaq mobo to make it oc'able

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Duffman3@25 March 2004 - 19:35
    ok thanks, is there anyway to mess with a compaq mobo to make it oc'able
    i doubt it, maybe someone has made a bios for it that will add more functions but its unlikely. you could try searching google for your motherboard name...or compag model number.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    oh well someday ill upgrade

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    so lets say i wanted to spend about 3 - 400 on an upgrade, all i need is cpu mobo and ram, posibly video card but thats another story, what can i get

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    FlyingDutchman's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Duffman3@26 March 2004 - 00:56
    so lets say i wanted to spend about 3 - 400 on an upgrade, all i need is cpu mobo and ram, posibly video card but thats another story, what can i get
    Your Compaq is probably worth more as an 'original Compaq'
    Add that $400 to what you get for selling the compaq, and build a new one.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    well its not quite a compaq, cept for the brains, got a 120gig hd new spiffy case, dvd rw, video capture card and what not, eventually ill put all my spares into a second comuter to run all the crap not necesary for this one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast