Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Im Building A New PC

well iv decieded to build a new pc but because of cash prpblems im going to buy bit at a time over the next few months, Im going to be using some parts from my old pc and buying most of the new parts.

I have a mobo that will take up to a 3000XP, USB2.0,AGPX8 etc and its very new so im going to use that. Its a micro mobo so that will effect the case size.

its going to be a pc for playing the latest games and movies... needs to be powerful

but here is what im going to need:
    • CPU
    • CASE (I HAVE A 400WATT PSU ALREADY)
    • RAM
    • GFX CARD
    • HARD DRIVE
    i think thats all i need, this is the specs i am aiming for:
    • AMD 2500XP BARTON
    • CASE WITH SIDE PANEL
    • 1GB PC 3200 SAMSUNG, KINGSTON OR CRUCIAL RAM
    • ATI CARD, 9600 PRO OR A 9700 PRO WHATEVER'S A BETTER DEAL FOR THE MONEY
    • 120GB HARD DRIVE (IDE) 7200RPM
    • GOOD CPU COOLER FOR OC'ING THE CPU TO 3000XP
    the only thing i will bend on is maybe the ram but that is the min spec really....

the case must have a side window and must have room/places to put about 4 fan. i want a fan at the top so it has to have those little grated holes there.

Budget is unsure of yet but i want to see how cheap i could get this.... all deleviered to the UK.

EDIT; on my current pc the cd-rw drive has gone and im buying a dvd-/+rw drive so thats why theres no need for a dvd/cd drive and i already have a dvd rom dirve anyway. i also havea 31/2 floopy so i dont need that, or a moniter, speakers, keyboard or mouse.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    If your old pc is still going to be a runner you could use it as a backup with the floppy and optical drives stripped out - once it is up and running you can load anything new over the network. Just leave it folding 24/7.

Obviously, to operate it successfully you really need a kvm switch like this.

Best purchase I ever made.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I wouldnt have the pc in the same room because of space problems thought. And im going to need to sell the CPU, gfx card and anything else i can sell from it to pay for this new machine. Im a broke student so i need this money to get the new pc.

plus iv tried folding on it before and it took 6 days to get to 23%

On my new pc i will be folding 24/7 anyway.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Originally posted by lynx@23 March 2004 - 20:50
    If your old pc is still going to be a runner you could use it as a backup with the floppy and optical drives stripped out - once it is up and running you can load anything new over the network. Just leave it folding 24/7.

Obviously, to operate it successfully you really need a kvm switch like this.

Best purchase I ever made.
    errr whats folding?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Originally posted by gungrave@23 March 2004 - 19:04
    errr whats folding?
    Click the link in my sig.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    FlyingDutchman's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@23 March 2004 - 20:28

.........[*]GOOD CPU COOLER FOR OC'ING THE CPU TO 3000XP
    the case must have ... room/places to put about 4 fan. i want a fan at the top so it has to have those little grated holes there.

PeerzyBoy, check this thread for a superior cooling solution. You don't need a fan/blowhole at the top of your case.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Wait for the new graphics cards I would say.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Yes, and might I suggest a move up from the good ol' trusty 2500XP? I think that as soon as the newer chipsets are released this year, much better solutions will be available. Especially when the 64 OS is stable and available. You just might find yourself dissapointed if you spend a lot of money on a 2500XP setup today when in less than six months there will be a 64 Bit Windows XP available.

Just something to think about. I think right now is just about the worst time to get an expensive new computer.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mmmmmm i already have an AGP mobo though Bigdawgfoxx.

Thing is 64 bit are o much for me at the moment and 2500XP are cheap(ish) are barton corse and very overclockable although i am open to sussgestions on going higher but the price will b impotant.

@FlyingDutchman i checked that thread and its for P4 only im going with an AMD system.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Lick My Lovepump
    Originally posted by peerzyboy@24 March 2004 - 17:53
    Mmmmmm i already have an AGP mobo though Bigdawgfoxx.

Thing is 64 bit are o much for me at the moment and 2500XP are cheap(ish) are barton corse and very overclockable although i am open to sussgestions on going higher but the price will b impotant.

@FlyingDutchman i checked that thread and its for P4 only im going with an AMD system.
    The average price for a 2500+ is £50, and the 64 3000+ is £120.

With 5%-30% performance on a beta OS with crap drivers, plus a bit more future proofing, I'd probably say it was worth it. Buying a 2500+ now will be a short term solution in my opinion, I agree with Adam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast