Thread: New Spawn Of Bagel Worm

Yet another version of the Bagle worm is on the loose and is already causing trouble in parts of Europe. Bagle.U appeared early Friday morning and has begun spreading quickly, even though it contains none of the social engineering tricks that Bagle's author has used to help previous versions succeed.

This variant arrives in an e-mail with a blank subject line and no body text. The sending address, as always, is spoofed, and the name of the infected executable attachment is completely random. After execution, the worm mails itself to all of the addresses in the infected machine's address book.

Bagle.U does include a backdoor component that listens on TCP port 4751 and connects to a Web server in a German domain, www.werde.de, according to an analysis by the McAfee Security unit of Network Associates Inc., based in Santa Clara, Calif. Once it establishes a connection with the remote server, the worm generates a unique ID number for each specific infected machine and sends that number and the number of the port on which it is listening to the server.

The worm also is capable of downloading an updated copy of itself from the remote server or downloading a batch file that removes the worm from the infected PC

More & Source
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    these virus makes are getting very clever and more advanced each time. Lets just hope the anti virus can keep up&#33;&#33;

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    no fear, Linux is here&#33; (unix and linux systems are traditioonally virus-free )

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Few days back there was a virus war going on. A new virus would be unleashed within few hours of the release of an old one to counter that. It is believed to be a virus war among virus writers.

It has cooled down recently, otherwise was a rat race.

Here is another story Virus Wars cooled down
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by bulio@26 March 2004 - 15:43
    no fear, Linux is here&#33; (unix and linux systems are traditioonally virus-free )
    When a virus is written its main objective is to get most computers infected. Good thing or bad thing most computers have Windows as OS.

As linux is getting more and more popular the antivirus companies are releasing a word of caution that it might be on the next hit list.