Thread: Bootmgr Question

BANNED
    hi, I have just bought a new 60 gig hd (drive e and paritioned 20 gb of it to linux. it is an internal hd. Now my question is, can I set up my comp to automatically boot to windows (on my c: drive) and then when I want, set my linux paritoned e drive to boot up before windows via the bios? would that make windows the primary boot until I want, or do i need a boot manager? if you know of another way to have linux rune without a bootmgr can you please post here?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by bulio@26 March 2004 - 18:23
    hi, I have just bought a new 60 gig hd (drive e and paritioned 20 gb of it to linux.  it is an internal hd. Now my question is, can I set up my comp to automatically boot to windows (on my c: drive) and then when I want, set my linux paritoned e drive to boot up before windows via the bios? would that make windows the primary boot until I want, or do i need a boot manager? if you know of another way to have linux rune without a bootmgr can you please post here?
    You just ask this question recently.

You'll need a bootlader and it will need to be configured correctly.

There is another way that I did not mention yesterday, Once everything is setup. That is..............once Windows is installed if it is not already, install linux and then choose not to install a bootloader and then make a boot disk during post installation. That way you won't need a bootloader and you can use a boot disk floppy without touchingthe original mbr.

I would not go messing around with the bios for such a trivial task.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    That way you won't need a bootloader and you can use a boot disk floppy without touchingthe original mbr.
    then whenever I put in my boot floppy, it will boot linux up right?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by bulio@26 March 2004 - 19:15
    That way you won't need a bootloader and you can use a boot disk floppy without touchingthe original mbr.
    then whenever I put in my boot floppy, it will boot linux up right?
    Yes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    now, i just gotta find some tut links