Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Psu Not Dead, It Just Wont Work

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I have an ULTRA PSU and i thought it was damaged, but i put it on my older p4 1.4ghz, and it boots right up. I have an asus p4c800-e deluxe, and here is what happens:

I hook the psu up, turn on the power....nothing happens. the little light on my board is lit up, so i know its getting power....
    i get no post beeps, the monitor dont wake up, nothing....so i shut it down
    The psu powers everything in the case, including all my fans, HDD's, etc....
    it just dont boot.....
    now heres the strange part.
    when i swap it out with my older PSU, my pc boots up and says "overclock failed" "press F1 to run setup or F2 to load defaults"
    pressing F1 takes me to the bios.
    Does my board think that this PSU is an overclock attempt, or is their a component in my pc that has down syndrome?
    this PSU runs my old PC with a radeon 7000 32mb card (it has an Intel D850GB mobo)
    so this must be mobo related, but what can it be?
    i know you guys can help, cuz you guys are S.M.R.T.......i mean S.M.A.R.T
    I know you prolly need more info, but i dont know what youll want to know till you tell me. thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@27 March 2004 - 00:47
    I have an ULTRA PSU and i thought it was damaged, but i put it on my older p4 1.4ghz, and it boots right up. I have an asus p4c800-e deluxe, and here is what happens:

I hook the psu up, turn on the power....nothing happens. the little light on my board is lit up, so i know its getting power....
    i get no post beeps, the monitor dont wake up, nothing....so i shut it down
    The psu powers everything in the case, including all my fans, HDD's, etc....
    it just dont boot.....
    now heres the strange part.
    when i swap it out with my older PSU, my pc boots up and says "overclock failed" "press F1 to run setup or F2 to load defaults"
    pressing F1 takes me to the bios.
    Does my board think that this PSU is an overclock attempt, or is their a component in my pc that has down syndrome?
    this PSU runs my old PC with a radeon 7000 32mb card (it has an Intel D850GB mobo)
    so this must be mobo related, but what can it be?
    i know you guys can help, cuz you guys are S.M.R.T.......i mean S.M.A.R.T
    I know you prolly need more info, but i dont know what youll want to know till you tell me. thanks
    Had that problem many years ago and tried two identical PSUs when I upgraded a case & mobo; they both worked in a friend's system, however.
    A different make of PSU worked fine so that's what's in the case now, running a newer mobo.
    I changed a PSU for a woman earlier in the week because her PSU was up the spout, and that was on an Asus A7N8X-X board; perhaps they're a little finnicky with voltages.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    maybe try resetting the cmos? it might be remembering the voltages given by the old psu and with the new ones it thinks u r overclocking?

if not that try hooking up just the motherboard, cpu, ram and vid card and boot. so no network cards or soundcards if they are add-on cards, no optical drives, no hard disks.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 March 2004 - 01:45
    if not that try hooking up just the motherboard, cpu, ram and vid card and boot. so no network cards or soundcards if they are add-on cards, no optical drives, no hard disks.
    ...and if it boots like that, buy another PSU anyway?
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Chewie UK+26 March 2004 - 20:55--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chewie UK @ 26 March 2004 - 20:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@27 March 2004 - 01:45
    ...and if it boots like that, buy another PSU anyway? [/b][/quote]
    no then it is probably faulty, for some reason it cant handle the watts needed...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    ok, so..........to clear the cmos, i unplug this thing and remove the battery, correct?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@26 March 2004 - 22:12
    ok, so..........to clear the cmos, i unplug this thing and remove the battery, correct?
    read the manual, there is a jumper which u make it cover say pins 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2 which it was already covering...you just switch it for like 5 seconds then change back. DO NOT POWER ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE JUMPER IN THE WRONG POSITION&#33;

or u could remove the battery but i heard that sometimes you might have to wait up to like an hour for the board to loose the charge and clear cmos, the jumper way is just a few seconds.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@26 March 2004 - 21:19
    DO NOT POWER ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE JUMPER IN THE WRONG POSITION&#33;
    ROGER..............ill give it a try

oh hey rossco, i got your mail from my webpage......the music aint going anywhere

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by Mïcrösöül°V³@26 March 2004 - 22:32
    oh hey rossco, i got your mail from my webpage......the music aint going anywhere
    i thought there would be better compression with a different format, but i guess mp23 is the best one...i didnt say get rid of it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i cleared the cmos, and the psu still wont power up my board. Im just lost as to why it will run my other pc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast