Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Okay, Now I Need Your Help...

Actually DELL gives a full install Disk that is full.

I have a corporate SP1 disk too, though...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@27 March 2004 - 17:53
    Actually DELL gives a full install Disk that is full.

I have a corporate SP1 disk too, though...
    Umm about the install list I saw, a few things stuck out.

For one, how are you going to install IE6, if you havnt installed Modem drivers yet........

As a general rule, My steps are.

1.XP
    2.Motherboard Drivers as soon as I can boot into XP.
    3.Vid card drivers.
    4.Windows Update.

Also, as for the board, Umm, I think you can find a cheaperboard, that will do the same stuff you want it to do, at less than 80 dollars. That stupid ASUS AMD line is overpriced, its just that they flood the market most people come within interaction with them, when there are really better solutions.

Like this one,

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc....-138-227&depa=1 69 bucks, runs 200+ FSB, and has dual channel.

As for the case and powersupply, u got a Antec case and power supply, which means great quality, so I wouldnt be too concerened. The 300W, is a bit on the low side, but if he is just plugging in the usual stuff, for instance not 9 fans, and 2 CCF:s like I have, he should be fine.

What are you doing by way of Hard drive?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Thanks for the input, John. I really appreciate it.

I am sticking with the components I have ordered so far because I don't want to introduce more variables than I need to.

One thing that is good about the Asus brand is the fact that they have good market penetration--which means that when I give it to my mechanic he won't have trouble getting support for it.

About the hard drive--I actually have a 60 GB 2 MB cache WD 7200 RPM sitting on my floor collecting dust. I have an 80 GB HDD sitting inside of an enclosure that I use to back up my important music data.

I am hoping that tommorrow that I can find an 40-80 GB 8 MB cache hard drive on a rebate sale for relatively cheap so I can give him a decent hard drive. The 2 mb version will be fine, I guess, but I need more space to back up my personal data, as I have 80 GB+ of .mp3's alone. So I am probably heading over to best buy tommorrow, we will have to see.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    I always install windows XP w/ SP1, then the chipset drivers, then video drivers, and then antivirus...really thats about it
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by adamp2p@27 March 2004 - 18:15
    Thanks for the input, John. I really appreciate it.

I am sticking with the components I have ordered so far because I don't want to introduce more variables than I need to.

One thing that is good about the Asus brand is the fact that they have good market penetration--which means that when I give it to my mechanic he won't have trouble getting support for it.

About the hard drive--I actually have a 60 GB 2 MB cache WD 7200 RPM sitting on my floor collecting dust. I have an 80 GB HDD sitting inside of an enclosure that I use to back up my important music data.

I am hoping that tommorrow that I can find an 40-80 GB 8 MB cache hard drive on a rebate sale for relatively cheap so I can give him a decent hard drive. The 2 mb version will be fine, I guess, but I need more space to back up my personal data, as I have 80 GB+ of .mp3's alone. So I am probably heading over to best buy tommorrow, we will have to see.
    Haha, you mean your not providing him with 24/7 tech support?

lol, I see your angle on just giving him name brand stuff, np.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    So that stock cooler is okay, right? For overclocking? I need to apply the Arctic Silver first, right?
    Edit: thanks for all your help guys!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by adamp2p@27 March 2004 - 23:34
    So that stock cooler is okay, right? For overclocking? I need to apply the Arctic Silver first, right?
    Edit: thanks for all your help guys!
    yeah stock cooler is good. its easier to remove the thermal pad that comes with the stock heatsync BEFORE it has been heated and melted which is why id recomend you remove it right away and just apply some arctic silver 5.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    hmm it looks ok, how thick is that? according to the website it should be thin enough that you can see the chip through the paste, but id be scared that i put too little on the chip and it overheats...id say that is a good amount though. it will definately get flattened out when the heatsync is applied. and be careful doing that, you dont want to put it on backwards lol, ive done that a few times and had to reapply my thermal paste.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast