Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Okay, Now I Need Your Help...

Even better at Circuit City (they have $50.00 off all WD HDDs)

http://weeklyad.circuitcity.com/circuitcit...15&clicksrc=01&

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Looks ok. I use a bit less than that on the CPU core.

I also put some on the Heatsink and work it in in a circular motion the wipe it off so that it only fills the tiny surface imperfections.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    well the seagate looks like a better deal to me, 20 bucks more for 40 extra gigs plus it has those silent motors in it becuase they are seagates.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Originally posted by ROSSCO_2004@27 March 2004 - 21:08
    well the seagate looks like a better deal to me, 20 bucks more for 40 extra gigs plus it has those silent motors in it becuase they are seagates.
    20 bucks is a lot, I am trying to be cheap but good. Plus he won't really have that much to put on his hard drive (except for the tons of .mp3's that I will copy)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by adamp2p+28 March 2004 - 00:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 28 March 2004 - 00:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ROSSCO_2004@27 March 2004 - 21:08
    20 bucks is a lot, I am trying to be cheap but good. Plus he won&#39;t really have that much to put on his hard drive (except for the tons of .mp3&#39;s that I will copy) [/b][/quote]
    true. so u get that heasync on? when you first turn on the computer, go straight to the bios right away and go right to hardware monitor, or wherever it says the temps. this is what i always do to make sure the chip isnt extremely hot already, like say if after 5 seconds it was at like 50 that would mean something is wrong.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36
    The stuff has not even shipped yet. It probably won&#39;t be here until Wednesday.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by adamp2p@26 March 2004 - 18:56
    Okay, so as I mentioned...

I ordered some components from newegg.com.

After watching several go through 2500XP overclocking successfully, I felt compelled to buy one. But this one is not for myself. Well actually it is for my mechanic, who is one of my friends. And he does not have a good computer at all, so I felt it in his best interests to build him one. And yes I am being a little cheap with it. But all he wants is a system to play games on. And I felt like I owed him. Especially because my transmission totally broke down on me and I dropped it off to him a month ago and I called him a couple of days later and he told me there was nothing wrong with it. Trust me; there was something very wrong with it. I even told him that all I could spend was &#036;700 to fix it. He fixed it and did not charge me for it.

I remember an anthropology teacher telling me that having a good mechanic is as important as having a good dentist--you don&#39;t want anybody messing around with something as important as your car...or your mouth, for that matter.

So I decided to buy some cheap components off of newegg (all of &#036;200 USD). As a matter of fact I will list exactly what I purchased:

Memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...tion=20-145-025
    Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-131-468&depa=0
    CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-379&depa=0
    Case and Power Supply:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-129-117&depa=0

I asked him to pay for the memory (&#036;100). I know the components are not all the highest quality. But I am just looking for components that will work at the specification. For one thing, I know that the memory I selected will run at CAS 2.5-3-3-8 or better at 400 MHz, which is all I need it to be stable at. Well actually I am going to give the system to him at stock, and show him how to overclock. And I am going to take off the heatsink heat pad that AMD affixes and apply some Artic Silver 5 on it (I have gobs of it).

Overall I am spending about &#036;200 bucks on this stuff for him. I know that the power supply and case are not the best; but they do not have to be. They will do, that I know.

If you have any tips or pointers for me, let me know.
    wow that&#39;s nice of him. My mazda 626 broke down just a couple of months ago and I broght it back to Mazda for repairs. They said that I have completely burnt the transmission and it needs rebuilding (that&#39;s bs cuz I maintain my car at regular intervals and change transmission oil all the time) and that it&#39;ll cost 3 grand canadian to repair. I was like ok do what you have to, since I am not a mechnic and can&#39;t tell if you are really lying or not...

good thing your friend fixed it for u....

my car had difficult climbing the hills when I apply the gas, it&#39;s like the gear is stuck at neutral but it&#39;s not at neutral. It just felt like it&#39;s partially on gear and the egine is really working hard but the force is not being transmitted to the tires...

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Originally posted by adamp2p@27 March 2004 - 20:55
    Is this hard drive any good (the seagate) &#036;79 after rebate

Image Resized
    Image Resized
    [img]http://bestbuy.dailyshopper.com/lib/bestbuy//168015_b.JPG' width='200' height='120' border='0' alt='click for full size view'>
    there are only a few major, mainstream brands (seagate, maxtor, western digital, ibm...). they&#39;re all just about the same, as far as quality goes. seems like no matter what brand you buy nowadays, you should expect to replace it after two or three years of heavy usage because they&#39;re not very well-constructed and they&#39;re prone to developing mechanical probs.

personally, the only HD brand i won&#39;t buy is ibm, &#39;cause they had really serious quality issues with entire product-lines a few years ago. my ibm drive went belly up after about a year, and i didn&#39;t keep the comp powered on nearly as much as i do with my current drives...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez+27 March 2004 - 21:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (james_bond_rulez @ 27 March 2004 - 21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@26 March 2004 - 18:56
    Okay, so as I mentioned...

I ordered some components from newegg.com.&nbsp;

After watching several go through 2500XP overclocking successfully, I felt compelled to buy one.&nbsp; But this one is not for myself.&nbsp; Well actually it is for my mechanic, who is one of my friends.&nbsp; And he does not have a good computer at all, so I felt it in his best interests to build him one.&nbsp; And yes I am being a little cheap with it.&nbsp; But all he wants is a system to play games on.&nbsp; And I felt like I owed him.&nbsp; Especially because my transmission totally broke down on me and I dropped it off to him a month ago and I called him a couple of days later and he told me there was nothing wrong with it.&nbsp; Trust me; there was something very wrong with it.&nbsp; I even told him that all I could spend was &#036;700 to fix it.&nbsp; He fixed it and did not charge me for it.&nbsp;

I remember an anthropology teacher telling me that having a good mechanic is as important as having a good dentist--you don&#39;t want anybody messing around with something as important as your car...or your mouth, for that matter.&nbsp;

So I decided to buy some cheap components off of newegg (all of &#036;200 USD).&nbsp; As a matter of fact I will list exactly what I purchased:

Memory:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...tion=20-145-025
    Motherboard:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-131-468&depa=0
    CPU:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-379&depa=0
    Case and Power Supply:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-129-117&depa=0

I asked him to pay for the memory (&#036;100).&nbsp; I know the components are not all the highest quality.&nbsp; But I am just looking for components that will work at the specification.&nbsp; For one thing, I know that the memory I selected will run at CAS 2.5-3-3-8 or better at 400 MHz, which is all I need it to be stable at.&nbsp; Well actually I am going to give the system to him at stock, and show him how to overclock.&nbsp; And I am going to take off the heatsink heat pad that AMD affixes and apply some Artic Silver 5 on it (I have gobs of it).

Overall I am spending about &#036;200 bucks on this stuff for him.&nbsp; I know that the power supply and case are not the best; but they do not have to be.&nbsp; They will do, that I know.

If you have any tips or pointers for me, let me know.
    wow that&#39;s nice of him. My mazda 626 broke down just a couple of months ago and I broght it back to Mazda for repairs. They said that I have completely burnt the transmission and it needs rebuilding (that&#39;s bs cuz I maintain my car at regular intervals and change transmission oil all the time) and that it&#39;ll cost 3 grand canadian to repair. I was like ok do what you have to, since I am not a mechnic and can&#39;t tell if you are really lying or not...

good thing your friend fixed it for u....

my car had difficult climbing the hills when I apply the gas, it&#39;s like the gear is stuck at neutral but it&#39;s not at neutral. It just felt like it&#39;s partially on gear and the egine is really working hard but the force is not being transmitted to the tires... [/b][/quote]
    Yeah, here, let me tell you a little story of my life.

When I was a kid I started selling weed, and I was quite good at it. I made a bunch of money and bought a 1974 BMW 2002 tii (fuel injected). I was still in high school. I bought it for &#036;5,000 from my dealer. The motor quickly broke and I had the entire engine rebuilt from scratch by a guy who races 2002s. I must have spend &#036;25,000 over the course of two years on that car. It had a turbo racing clutch (which basically means that you have to raise the RPMs up to at least 2.5 before even beginning to raise your foot off of the clutch). It took 3 months to build this motor and let me tell you, it was a monster. I used 100 octane racing gas and it went 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds. I will scan a pic of it for you guys later.

Anyways, that was great and all, and to make a long story short, I ended up in the mental hosptial for 3 months after becoming a crackhead, and in the process lost all of my money and possessions (including the car, which went right back to my dealer because he fronted my a pound of weed and I could not repay him with anything else but my car).

Somehow, I got my shit together. I went back to school, started getting good grades, and called my old mechanic, who I won&#39;t name out of respect. I told him, hey, do you know anyone who can fix Toyotas? He said yes, and referred me to my new mechanic. Ever since I&#39;ve known him, I have done little but maintence to my car and its running great.

Just thought I would let &#39;yall in on a bit of my life story.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    Double Agent
    ya anyways i feel stupid for paying 3 grands on repairs when the car is only worth 10 (i bought it for 20)

damn those dealers&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

I have to add:

although i could&#39;ve brought my car to any mechanic for significantly less amount (1grand, 2 at most) I felt compelled to bring it back to my original manuf. cuz i thought they could do a professional job and not rip me off. but I feel like i got ripped off and the car doesn&#39;t drive that well anymore..

i am still pissed...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast