Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Okay, Now I Need Your Help...

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 15:02
    I need a floppy to flash the BIOS, right?

No, you don't.

Using the Asus bios flashing tool couldn't be simpler and I can't think of any special tricks/tips you need to know.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    Originally posted by clocker+28 March 2004 - 15:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 28 March 2004 - 15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 15:02
    I need a floppy to flash the BIOS, right?

No, you don&#39;t.

Using the Asus bios flashing tool couldn&#39;t be simpler and I can&#39;t think of any special tricks/tips you need to know. [/b][/quote]
    Thanks, clock.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 21:05
    I disable the stuff myself manually...

or follow this
    If you follow that guide, DO NOT DISABLE WebClient - guess what, if you disable it you won&#39;t be able to get on the web.

So you won&#39;t be able to get back to the guide and may not be able to work out what you did wrong&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    ice found a much easier way of disabling the services.

open a few programs that you use on a dialy basis and open the net(probably one u use on a daily basis anyway) then go to services.msc and look at all of the services that are in the started status. there will only be about 33% of them started, so find just those services on the guide, read about them, and set it to the one you want. its a lot easier than going through every single service, and its safer than using the reg tweaks.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    Originally posted by lynx+29 March 2004 - 03:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx @ 29 March 2004 - 03:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@28 March 2004 - 21:05

or follow this
    If you follow that guide, DO NOT DISABLE WebClient - guess what, if you disable it you won&#39;t be able to get on the web.

So you won&#39;t be able to get back to the guide and may not be able to work out what you did wrong&#33;&#33;&#33; [/b][/quote]
    WRONG&#33; I disable webclient and never have a problem connecting.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    CRAP&#33; The board that I ordered does not support dual channel memory&#33;

I thought it did&#33; That sucks&#33; I think I will return it&#33;

So I am going to return it. So I just ordered the real thing:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-131-455&depa=0

That costed a bit more, but that&#39;s okay, I guess. A slightly better board, though. The thing that sucks is the fact that I live in California, so I have to pay tax...

...and now I will have to pay to return the item to newegg...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by adamp2p+29 March 2004 - 16:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (adamp2p @ 29 March 2004 - 16:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by lynx@29 March 2004 - 03:20
    <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p
    @28 March 2004 - 21:05

or follow this

So you won&#39;t be able to get back to the guide and may not be able to work out what you did wrong&#33;&#33;&#33;
    WRONG&#33; I disable webclient and never have a problem connecting. [/b][/quote]
    Hmmm, look like you are right on that.

Strange thing is, when it was disabled I couldn&#39;t connect to the internet.
    As soon as I changed the startup back to manual everything was OK.
    But now that I&#39;ve looked again that service hasn&#39;t started anyway.

Confusing.

CRAP&#33; The board that I ordered does not support dual channel memory&#33;
    I thought you would have realised that, I&#39;ve posted it enough times. I would have posted it again but you had already ordered it, and you said you wanted to keep the cost below &#036;200 anyway.

Hope you don&#39;t have any problems returning it.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    Yeah, I did not know.

There is one important reason for buying that particular board: the dual channel memory controller. One thing is the fact that I ordered 2X256 MB modules, and if I purchased the -X board then I would only really need one stick I could have more money.

However, I have read on the Internet that the extra channel of memory really does not help that much at all. What do you guys think of that claim?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456