Thread: Environmental Variables

Poster
    There are some information that our browsers give off when connecting to any Ip address (website). These include browser, os kind and version,screen resolution, screen bits etc.
    I want to change the information for improved security. I know how to do one of them eg. My browser now tells the websites that my browser is Mozila 4.0, but it is actually IE 6 SP1. I want to change the os and other info as well. There was a trick to do it, but I can't find that using any means of search.
    If you do not know what the #$## i'm talking about, go Here to see the information your comp. is giving out that i want to change. I do not want to use a proxy server though, but for example, I want my comp. to tell the IP address (server or website) that my screen resolution is 640*480, instead of the real value, which is 600*800. I do not care what would happen to the display and compatibility if I do that, because all the websites are F($%8ed up already.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    It really just gives off the user agent string for the most part. Change it or delete it. But be aware that some sites need that information in order to allow you to properly browse the site.

Who the hell care&#39;s about your screen resolution&#33;

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Whats the point? Thats useless information anyway. If they know you are using IE6SP1 so what? So are the other 1 million people & Resolution? why on earth would anyone care about it. The main identity is your ip address why not care about it more?
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    Originally posted by I.am@27 March 2004 - 19:43
    Whats the point? Thats useless information anyway. If they know you are using IE6SP1 so what? So are the other 1 million people & Resolution? why on earth would anyone care about it. The main identity is your ip address why not care about it more?
    I agree with i.am

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by I.am@27 March 2004 - 13:43
    It&#39;s so we can see what all the M&#036; bashers are using.............probably ie6.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    As already said, why are you worried about resolution? Also, why is your member title "Administrator"?
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    h1
    I use the User-Agent spoof plugin simply to beat badly coded server- and client-side scripts.

And most user-agents start with Mozilla x.x, then displays actual information. In fact, many CGI scripts may crash if the UA doesn&#39;t start with that.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    It is not really useless to change these values, because if they though that I had mozilla firebird/fox, they will not use IE attacks against me.
    the other info are not as usefull as this one, but if they knew that I had another OS, they will not use attacks against my real os, but I do not think it will be a good thing to change my os to mac for example.
    lol what&#39;s wrong with playing around with the title.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    You really think this will fool the people who want to get you? Trust me, if someone is after you and knows the stuff, you can&#39;t do anything to prevent it other than shutdown your computer and be gone for a while.

@shn True. But b4&#036;h M&#036; anyways
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    That is true. I did that some time ago, when I was getting too many Dos attacks