Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting A Case

Poster
    I have a small blue TV/Video combi. Is there any way I can paint the case silver? if so what type of paitn would I use and how would I go about doing it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by stupidguy@26 March 2004 - 06:46
    I have a small blue TV/Video combi. Is there any way I can paint the case silver? if so what type of paitn would I use and how would I go about doing it?
    i dont recomend u do it because to get it to look good u will have to take it apart and have the outer casing seperate from the rest and you just paint that, but to take it apart a lot of electronic equipment inside must be taken out and even after being unplugged for a month could still carry very high voltages. same with computer monitors.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mask the screen off with tape, sorta like they do when they give a car a new paint job. you'd prolly need to open the tv and block the vents from inside. spray paint from a model shop oughta do the trick. dunno why you'd wanna paint it though... even a really well-done paintjob would still probably end up looking coyote fugly.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Whatever paint you use, try it on a hidden area first. Some paints can melt plastics.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    I dont know if this can help, is not for painting a TV case but it is to paint the facing of the drives that have a similar plastic to the one in a TV case, hope it helps:

http://www.gideontech.com/guides/paint1/index04.shtml

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@26 March 2004 - 15:41
    mask the screen off with tape, sorta like they do when they give a car a new paint job. you'd prolly need to open the tv and block the vents from inside. spray paint from a model shop oughta do the trick. dunno why you'd wanna paint it though... even a really well-done paintjob would still probably end up looking coyote fugly.
    It shouldn't look bad unless u don't know how to spray paint... If you want it to look good you'll have to take all the inards out and you shouldn't have any voltage problems unless ur being stupid and jamming a screw driver where it shoudn't be... I've taken quit a few tvs apart just be careful what u touch the worst i got once was a little jolt. I've found that the best spray paint to use is car spray paint and u can find it at walmat in the automotive section. they have really good spray control that is if there the same ones they sell here... and another tip if ur not that good with a can practice on something thats close to the same plastic type. make sure not to hold the can to close and get good coverage the hardest part with plasic is it running so put a bunch of really thin coats on instead of one thick coat..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    *Grunt*
    You might be able to get some plastic paints, to cover just use masking tape

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    If you're taking the TV apart, take care not to touch any of the stuff on the end of the tube (the 'pointed' end) or pull off the sucker with the wire going to it that's on the side of the tube.
    Doing so could land your beloved with a funeral bill.

As for painting, clean the plastic with a 'tack rag' to remove grease and shit, then use a plastic primer such as is used for plastic car bumpers. You can then paint on any car paint and be sure it's not going to flake off while you're watching it.
    Give primer 2 to 3 coats and top coat 3 to 4 coats to get the best finish and durability.
    Use a fine (1000 - 1200 grit) 'wet & dry' paper between coats.

HTH
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    i believe krylon makes paint just for plastics

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Originally posted by stupidguy@26 March 2004 - 12:46

All silver/chrome/metallic paints are not "really" metallic and make things you paint look "fake".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast