Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Linux Regulars

namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I'm just getting set to install XEBIAN (a Debian port for the xbox) and just wondered what you guys think about the various ports that are avalible for the xbox.
    Personally I think its a fantastic way of pushing linux that little bit farther forward in terms of accesibility. The reason I'm wanting to use linux through my xbox is because of hardware issues on my pc (my adsl modem is not supported and I'm to damn broke at the moment to replace it.)
    I dare say i'll be in here a lot more as I'm pretty much a newb to linux.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    Well, first hand If you have any probs or anything, be sure to ask them in HERE
    as for your modem, what version of linux are you using? btw, I think it is a good idea to port linux on the box, as it will be good for linux

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Using Mandrake 9 on my PC but my crappy (win)modem manufacter does'nt support linux.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    oh

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by namzuf9@27 March 2004 - 18:33
    Using Mandrake 9 on my PC but my crappy (win)modem manufacter does'nt support linux.
    win modems don't work under linux.

go figure. :teehee:

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    having linux on the xbox seems pretty cool to me.
    If you can install it and get it up and running it is a very cheap way to get yourself a half decent personal computer designed for multimedia.

dont have an x-box so i cant try it unfortunelty but i might just buy a second hand one for cheap and then rip it to pieces just to see how it works.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Originally posted by shn+28 March 2004 - 12:10--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn &#064; 28 March 2004 - 12:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-namzuf9@27 March 2004 - 18:33
    Using Mandrake 9 on my PC but my crappy (win)modem manufacter does&#39;nt support linux.
    win modems don&#39;t work under linux.

go figure. :teehee:[/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s not entirely true.

In the case of Conexant WinModems (which are extremely popular), all you need are the correct drivers to dial up in Linux.
    Unfortunately, these are the only drivers I&#39;ve ever seen that you have to pay for.

Kind of ironic, really.

As for running Linux on X-Box, I think it&#39;s a great idea.
    Anything that sticks it to M&#036; is a good thing in my book.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by uNz&#091;i
    Using Mandrake 9 on my PC but my crappy (win)modem manufacter does&#39;nt support linux.
    win modems don&#39;t work under linux.

go figure. :teehee:[/b][/quote]
    That&#39;s not entirely true.

In the case of Conexant WinModems (which are extremely popular), all you need are the correct drivers to dial up in Linux.
    Unfortunately, these are the only drivers I&#39;ve ever seen that you have to pay for.

Kind of ironic, really.

As for running Linux on X-Box, I think it&#39;s a great idea.
    Anything that sticks it to M&#036; is a good thing in my book. [/b][/quote]
    Winmodems use a portion of the Windows operating system to operate properly and are notoriously incompatible with most Linux implementations.

I know about linuxant. I knew about Linuxant when they offered their drivers for free I guess it comes down to do you really want to waste your time trying to install a driver for a winmodem. Most people do not even have the ability to get a working graphical interface up on their Linux box, let alone install a driver for a modem and tell their box what serial port it&#39;s on. And why pay for a driver when you can go and buy a compatible 56k modem for less than &#036;10 bucks.

And like I said...................they don&#39;t work under linux. Your talking about a driver, anything will work if you have the right driver.

From Linuxant&#39;s site.

a free version (limited to 14.4Kbps data)
    14.4kbps? That link was not even worth posting dude.

@namzuf9 -- Linux for PlayStation 2

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    BANNED
    i&#39;m getting linux 4 ps2

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    I did consider linux on my PS2 but it meant paying out for a HDD and I figured my xbox has a higher processing power (733mhz and 64mb ram).

After playing about with xebian/debian for a bit it all seems to be going well so far. I&#39;m just waiting for my ps/2 to usb adapter to turn up so I can splice it into a joypad and connect up a keyboard and mouse.

Good news as well, its my birthday in may and I&#39;m getting my bro to buy me a router so hopefully I&#39;ll be running linux on my PC as well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast