Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Editing File Name

Retired
    I asked once that I had problems with movie files when I tried to rename them, I got an error saying that the file was in use.

I got a reply which told me to delete a reg key to fix this.

I did a format C: and I cant find my old topic

can someone help me :helpsmile:

{I}{K}{E}

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    you say that when u try to rename a file you get the message that the filename is already in use although there is no file with that name?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    no its windows explorer scanning the file still and it wont let you change/delete it until its finished.

try safemode to change the name or do it in dos. Cant remember the reg key to alter .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Retired
    well its fixed if you reboot

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    All you have to do to fix this problem is delete the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREClassesCLSID{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}InProcServer32

This prevents explorer from loading shmedia.dll which is used to provide you with properties of AVI (DivX) files. My understanding is that due to the way DivX files are encoded, XP has trouble collecting the properties and gives you the file in use message when you try to delete them.
    Or alternatively theres instructions at http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol92...isc/DELETE.HTM

I think the first reg change stops explorer loading shmedia.dll for more than just avi files, but since its really only avi files that cause problems you might not want to do this so the second thing may be better...

or you could use a (better) alternative to windows explorer eg http://netez.com/2xExplorer/ (personally i reckon the final release before the alpha is the best).

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Retired
    thnx ilw

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@28 March 2004 - 17:14
    well its fixed if you reboot
    that what i was gonna tell u to reboot ur comp and then try 2 rename it bcuz that always work 4 me

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    BANNED
    Originally posted by {I}{K}{E}@28 March 2004 - 18:49
    thnx ilw
    glad to hear it

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by bulio@28 March 2004 - 19:41
    glad to hear it
    hey bulio, quit spamming topics with your bullshit unrelated posts

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    An alternative to windows is always dos. Try going to dos and then delete it.
    <span style='color:black'> I am a part of all that I have met - Lord Tennyson</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Try not to let your mind wander...it is too small and fragile to be out by itself</span>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast