Thread: Program To Fix Corrupted Parts On Discs?

Formula1's Avatar Poster
    im wondering if there is a program that can fix corrupted parts on CD's please (like cd-r's)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I don't believe you can alter any data on a CD-R. Especially if it's been finalized.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    h1
    Not possible.

If it's scratched though, try elbow grease.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BawA's Avatar FST Pioneer BT Rep: +1
    there is a way if ur talking about corrupted sectors
    1st of all u must make a perfict images of the cd then fix corrupted parts with "CdMage" then its ur choice if u burn or mount

"You can be mad as a mad dog at the way things went; you can swear and curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go"
    Benjamen button

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    firstly try and remove any scratches with metal polish (duraglit or brasso) this will dull the cd slightly but it will still be readable , but if you hold the disc up to a lightbulb and you can see pinholes/light shining through it then any data in that segment is lost and unretrievable, also isobuster pro will extract all the files from a cd and replace corrupt segments with zeros and also check if all files are readable

ps lightbulb needs to be on lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    If you're gong to polish a scratched CD don't use a metal polish. It has abrasives in it and does more harm than good.

Plastic is more similar to paint and using a paint polish/wax will yield better results.

But, the best way is to use a polish specifically for plastic. I use a brand called "Novus." It was recommended by the technicians I used to manage and works superbly. (Novus website here)

good luck.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by harrycary@31 March 2004 - 00:56
    If you're gong to polish a scratched CD don't use a metal polish. It has abrasives in it and does more harm than good.

Plastic is more similar to paint and using a paint polish/wax will yield better results.

But, the best way is to use a polish specifically for plastic. I use a brand called "Novus." It was recommended by the technicians I used to manage and works superbly. (Novus website here)

good luck.
    the whole point of using metal polish on a cd that is scratched or damaged IS because it has abrasives in it,( and brasso is hardly abrasive just a slight cutting action) if it didnt it wouldnt get the scratches out! also i would add that most if not all paint polish and waxs have a slight cutting action similar to metal polish though not as much. I wasnt recommending using it to generally clean cds, just to use it on cd's that jump or are unreadable. ive used it to get the data off scratched cd's a number of times and it has never made them worse! the only thing as i said is that it dulls the disc and will probably slow the accessing of it down, but if its damaged anyway what has he to lose? peace

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I use a kit that I bought from Best Buy. Cost $11 and it works for badly scratched media.

Here is an example although mine came with a small plastic plate and some other misc utensils.

At my school they use a huge machine, some type of buffer device or something. Who knows and who cares.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Metal polishes indeed have abrasives in them. Dulling the surface shouldn't be the end goal. Ideally, you want to polish the surface by making it as flat as possible. The fact that boyzeees' results are a CD with a dull finish are proof positive of a result you don't want. A shiny finish is the ultimate.

Plastic polishes and car waxes are both mild compounds much more suitable for Formula1 to use. (and no they don't have abrasives added, read the label)

shn, the kit you write of contains a mild polish meant for softer materials such as a plastic CD.

Believe me when I say this, there is a day and night difference in compounds meant for metals and those meant for plastic or paints. A metal polish just isn't necessary.