Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Safe Is Linux

Poster
    i got my new computer 3 days ago a 160 gb hd 512 ram win xp home and a lot of other stuff and im downloading the live disks the slax 4.0.1 presently so im a lil concerned is it safe to use it like will anything dumb happen and screw up my new comp please reply back i really want to use linux

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    BANNED
    live discs will do you no harm, but if you want a good one go for Knoppix it has better detection rates and stuff

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    No, it's a live disc, so it won't install anything.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    yea thanx man

linux here i come

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    160 gig hard drive won't do ya any good unless you install Linux.

And don't count on depending on the ram because the speed of the live cd o.s. is determined by the speed of your cd rom.

Slax is ok. I sure hope the developer fixed that glitch where you can't use more than 800 megs of ram before the live cd boots into a kernel panic.

Try a Lindows live cd. I have never tried Lindows but to be honest if your using a Live CD as a primary o.s. then you can't knock it.

Besides rescue abilities, most live cd's are pretty much the same in one way:

You can't save or write data to anything unless you save it to some type of storage device or nfs share.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@30 March 2004 - 17:39
    160 gig hard drive won't do ya any good unless you install Linux.

yea i know i want to install linux but that what if my comp gets busted thing cums in

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by neotheone+30 March 2004 - 20:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neotheone &#064; 30 March 2004 - 20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@30 March 2004 - 17:39
    160 gig hard drive won&#39;t do ya any good unless you install Linux.

yea i know i want to install linux but that what if my comp gets busted thing cums in[/b][/quote]
    Well try the Live CD and I&#39;ll bet if you like Linux you will more than likely install it at one point or another.

I&#39;m not saying Live Cd&#39;s are bad. It&#39;s just that sooner or later you will get sick of things like:
    • Setting your screen resolution, mouse settings, keyboard map, etc. on login.
    • Configuring your desktop on login.
    • Configuring Mozilla or any other web browser on login.
    • Pissed when you can&#39;t save something as small as even a 10k image file.
    • Applications that you used before now start up with the crappy default settings.
    • Dreading the fact that when you reboot all is basically lost.

Good Luck

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by neotheone+30 March 2004 - 20:44--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (neotheone &#064; 30 March 2004 - 20:44)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-shn@30 March 2004 - 17:39
    160 gig hard drive won&#39;t do ya any good unless you install Linux.

yea i know i want to install linux but that what if my comp gets busted thing cums in[/b][/quote]

You can&#39;t break anything if you read guides and know what you&#39;re doing, it only does what you tell it to. If you are interesting in starting linux, there are some tutorials written by people here posted in Linux Section, you should also check the &#39;New to Linux?&#39; pinned topic.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    KazaaBoy's Avatar Nothing On The Moon.
    Now I am just wondering why should I have Linux instead of windows XP professional. I mean, I used to XP and don&#39;t want to change because of the softwarez I use. Can Linux take my softwarez or why do people always talk about it? Can it be used for an operating system for home usrs and what&#39;s all the hype.

Someone help me out and compare Linux to XP and tell me the difference.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by KazaaBoy@30 March 2004 - 20:58
    Now I am just wondering why should I have Linux instead of windows XP professional.&nbsp; I mean, I used to XP and don&#39;t want to change because of the softwarez I use.&nbsp; Can Linux take my softwarez or why do people always talk about it?&nbsp; Can it be used for an operating system for home usrs and what&#39;s all the hype.&nbsp;

Someone help me out and compare Linux to XP and tell me the difference.
    Linux is more stable, more secure...etc.

You can find replacements for the software you currently use in my sig, and by searching google.

You will find some comparisons here - http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+vs+wi...=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Yes, Linux can be used for home users, it can be used for just about anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast