Thread: Password Windows?

not sure if this is the rigt board but whatever:
    is there anyway that i can password windows - not the whole computer - just windows like that thing u can do with the screensaver acept witout the screensaver?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Double Agent
    please post in the correct sections please...this does not belong to hardware world

and you can lock workstation in win2k/xp and you can set password in screen savers.

that's pretty much all you can do.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by daniboy@31 March 2004 - 07:06
    not sure if this is the rigt board but whatever:
    is there anyway that i can password windows - not the whole computer - just windows like that thing u can do with the screensaver acept witout the screensaver?
    n00b alert! lol sorry i had to say that... windows... if u mean folders then you could (in XP) put them into a password protected zip file... that works too

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lol - no i didnt mean folders. i wanna password the whole comp so that u cant do anything on it till u put in the pass

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    what OS if you are using

if it is XP then goto start->settings->control panel then into User accounts then select the user then on select add password
    There are 10 types of people in the world those who understand binary and those who dont

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Do you want to lock down your computer when you are away?

Then first set a password for you account.

Then in windows 2000 press Ctrl - alt - delete -> lock computer.

or in xp press Winkey(key with the logo) + L. (you can also do this with the task manager)

I reconmend first locking the computer typing your password then lock again and see if it really works.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Creating a Desktop Shortcut to Lock a Windows Workstation

To create the shortcut:

1. Right-click an empty area of the desktop, point to New, and then click Shortcut.

2. In the Create Shortcut Wizard, type %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation in the Type the location of the item box, and then click Next. Note that LockWorkStation is case sensitive.

3. On the "Type a name for this shortcut" page, type Lock Workstation in the Type a name for this shortcut box, and then click Finish.

4. Right-click the shortcut you just made, and then click Properties.

5. Click the Shortcut tab, and then click Change Icon.

6. In the Change Icon dialog box, type %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll in the Look for icons in this file box, and then click OK.

7. Browse through the available icons, and then select an icon that makes it easy for the users to identify that the shortcut is to be used to lock the workstation. Click the icon you want to use, and then click OK

8. Click OK again

9. Double-click the shortcut, and note that the workstation automatically locks itself. The user must press CTRL+ALT_DELETE, and then type his or her credentials to unlock the workstation.