Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Distro Guide

BANNED
    Originally posted by DWells55@2 April 2004 - 03:49
    What about Lindows? I downloaded a copy from them for free. I typed in coupon code ImaNVUfan or something like that and let me download the developer's edition free. I haven't bothered to install it yet, as the PC I was going to try it on doesn't have the specs to run it. Is it any good or should I just go grab a copy of Mandrake? Also what's Mandrake need for Specs? I've got a 350 MHz PII with 320 MBs of ram and an 80 GB hard drive running Windows XP Pro (legal OEM version I got for free before most of the public ) smoothly. That 80 GBs isn't being used, could I partition it and install Mandrake on it? Are there any good tools for partitioning some space for Mandrake?

BTW, Ariel, it seems to me that MacOS is the opposite of Windows and Linux is in the middle. Seems like Linux might be the healthy blend a lot of us are looking for. I won't be installing Linux on my primary computer though, seing how it is a heavy gaming machine with one purpose: games. And the occasional music or one of my 328 (all) Simpsons episodes .
    I had a couple minor problems on lindows, and I will add it later if needed. For system specs, you only need 128 mb of ram for kde desktop and not much computing power

@haxor,

I didn't, pol edited it out when he pinned it for me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    According to help.lindows.com, the minimum requirements are:
    • Intel, AMD, or VIA processor - 800 MHz or higher
    • Minimum 128 MB RAM
    • Minimum 2 GB of available hard disk space
    Yikes! I don't think I'll be able to run that on my old system! It's got:
    • Intel Pentium II 350 MHz
    • 320 MB RAM
    • 65 GB hard disk space
    Oh well, I guess I can try .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    BANNED
    that's for linows. Suse linux (easy distro for noobies) needs the following specs:

Main memory

* At least 64 MB are required for the installation with YaST2 in graphical mode; 128 MB recommended

Hard disk

* 400 MB to more than 3 GB (Personal Edition) or 6 GB (Professional Edition) for the installation of all packages; 2 GB or more recommended
        * LBA48 hard disks are supported

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    It turned out pretty good, Bulio. Nice work.

Edit: Spelling error

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    BANNED
    Originally posted by LSA@2 April 2004 - 23:56
    It turned out pretty good, Bulio. Nice work.

Edit: Spelling error
    thx, it was my first guide and took me about 2 hrs. I plan to write a couple more for some other worlds if I think of anything guide-worthy

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    A mag here in uk gives out a free DVD with Linux on most months better than downloading

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    BANNED
    Originally posted by aoyv73@5 April 2004 - 11:34
    A mag here in uk gives out a free DVD with Linux on most months better than downloading
    some of us don't live in the uk

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    u missed knoppix.

knoppix is bootable from CD amd, as such, is excellent as an emergency boot disk. although with linux, you cannot write to any NTFS partitions, you can still read them, and thus, can burn any files on them to a cd with the included CD authoring software. You cannot burn CDs or DVDs unless you have the Knoppix bootable CD in another CD drive. Knoppix converts a small space on the RAM into a ramdrive and extracts itself in realtime to the dedicated portion of RAM. It does not copy any part of itself to the hard drive (however if a part of a hard drive is messed up it may not be able to boot at all, due to a failed attempt at scanning the drive. Knoppix is very useful as a boot CD, and can be used to recover lost files as well. It runs like any other version of linux. Just be sure to dload the English version if you speak english, and not the german version . the Knoppix iso file is available at:

Pros:
    • boots from the CD only and does not rely on the HDD at all
    • can be used for file recovery
    • can entertain you for a small while with games like Frozen Bubble and Battleship
    • awesome for newbies and people who have a random phobia of installing things for the first time.
    • comes with StarOffice, C++ dev software, etc. making for a decent OS
    • features enough software to play DVDs, DivXs, mp3s, etc.
    • can be dloaded off of bittorrent

Cons
    • takes up a cd drive, and thus, the used cd drive cannot be used to do anything else during your current linux session.
    • may be slow at times
    • may be too limited for linux gurus (they could only squeeze 2 gigs (compressed into 700 megs) onto the ISO.
    • Settings are not retained.
    • VERY hard, if not impossible, to make it run off of the hard drive (this distro was intended only as a CD BOOT release)
    • can entertain you for a small while with games like Frozen Bubble and Battleship

Knoppix Homepage

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by atiVidia@9 April 2004 - 23:23
    u missed knoppix.

knoppix is bootable from CD amd, as such, is excellent as an emergency boot disk. although with linux, you cannot write to any NTFS partitions, you can still read them, and thus, can burn any files on them to a cd with the included CD authoring software. You cannot burn CDs or DVDs unless you have the Knoppix bootable CD in another CD drive. Knoppix converts a small space on the RAM into a ramdrive and extracts itself in realtime to the dedicated portion of RAM. It does not copy any part of itself to the hard drive (however if a part of a hard drive is messed up it may not be able to boot at all, due to a failed attempt at scanning the drive. Knoppix is very useful as a boot CD, and can be used to recover lost files as well. It runs like any other version of linux. Just be sure to dload the English version if you speak english, and not the german version . the Knoppix iso file is available at:

Pros:
    • awesome for newbies and people who have a random phobia of installing things for the first time.

Cons
    • takes up a cd drive, and thus, the used cd drive cannot be used to do anything else during your current linux session.
    • may be slow at times
    • may be too limited for linux gurus (they could only squeeze 2 gigs (compressed into 700 megs) onto the ISO.
    • VERY hard, if not impossible, to make it run off of the hard drive (this distro was intended only as a CD BOOT release)

Knoppix Homepage
    That second to last statement is FALSE.

Where do peole get their info from?

Code:
    # Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

# Type: knx-hdinstall
    If you call that hard and impossible theN STAY AWAY FROM LINUX.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    atiVidia's Avatar ^would've been cool.
    Originally posted by shn+10 April 2004 - 17:13--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 10 April 2004 - 17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia@9 April 2004 - 23:23
    u missed knoppix.

Pros:

Cons

• may be slow at times

Knoppix Homepage
    That second to last statement is FALSE.

Where do peole get their info from?

Code:
    # Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

# Type&#58; knx-hdinstall
    If you call that hard and impossible theN STAY AWAY FROM LINUX. [/b][/quote]
    lol i didnt see tht sorry.

half of the stuff i posted was on another forum

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast