Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux Distro Guide

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by atiVidia+10 April 2004 - 21:14--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (atiVidia &#064; 10 April 2004 - 21:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by shn@10 April 2004 - 17:13
    <!--QuoteBegin-atiVidia
    @9 April 2004 - 23:23
    u missed knoppix.

knoppix is bootable from CD amd, as such, is excellent as an emergency boot disk. although with linux, you cannot write to any NTFS partitions, you can still read them, and thus, can burn any files on them to a cd with the included CD authoring software. You cannot burn CDs or DVDs unless you have the Knoppix bootable CD in another CD drive. Knoppix converts a small space on the RAM into a ramdrive and extracts itself in realtime to the dedicated portion of RAM. It does not copy any part of itself to the hard drive (however if a part of a hard drive is messed up it may not be able to boot at all, due to a failed attempt at scanning the drive. Knoppix is very useful as a boot CD, and can be used to recover lost files as well. It runs like any other version of linux. Just be sure to dload the English version if you speak english, and not the german version . the Knoppix iso file is available at:

Pros:
    • boots from the CD only and does not rely on the HDD at all

• can be used for file recovery

• can entertain you for a small while with games like Frozen Bubble and Battleship

• awesome for newbies and people who have a random phobia of installing things for the first time.

• comes with StarOffice, C++ dev software, etc. making for a decent OS

• features enough software to play DVDs, DivXs, mp3s, etc.

• can be dloaded off of bittorrent&nbsp;

Cons
    • takes up a cd drive, and thus, the used cd drive cannot be used to do anything else during your current linux session.

• may be slow at times

• may be too limited for linux gurus (they could only squeeze 2 gigs (compressed into 700 megs) onto the ISO.

• Settings are not retained.

• VERY hard, if not impossible, to make it run off of the hard drive (this distro was intended only as a CD BOOT release)

• can entertain you for a small while with games like Frozen Bubble and Battleship

Knoppix Homepage

That second to last statement is FALSE.

Where do peole get their info from?

Code:
    # Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

# Type&#58; knx-hdinstall
    If you call that hard and impossible theN STAY AWAY FROM LINUX.
    lol i didnt see tht sorry.

half of the stuff i posted was on another forum [/b][/quote]
    No prob, Linux Section is generic anyway. Copy and paste all you like.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    What would your guys recomend for me....

I want to use something that is closest to xp. Easy navagation, support for many file types (rar,xvid,divx,iso, so on). But I want something very reliable that uses low resources.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by SingaBoiy@11 May 2004 - 07:12
    What would your guys recomend for me....

I want to use something that is closest to xp. Easy navagation, support for many file types (rar,xvid,divx,iso, so on). But I want something very reliable that uses low resources.
    Suse has good support for thoose various filetypes with a default install. But I don&#39;t think it&#39;s too good on resources. It&#39;s a bit bloated, but then again so is XP.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    Poster
    Has anyone played with Yoper?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Looks like the norm Linux distro. Although it does say it&#39;s optimized for 686 machines nd that&#39;s pretty cool.

I would give it a try but I have to install Solaris 9 for (x86) since that what some of our servers at school run I should catch up on things before school starts if I want another dead-end workstudy position....................again. I love the other students that comptete becuase they never get it and only two are choosen. Two in a row their will be pissed souls this semester.

Anyway if you give it a try let me know how it runs.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Do you think that it will be compatible with an intel extreme graphics graphic card?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Hey I heard Linux was the best thing for hacking into places or people, do any of you think this is true??? If so tell me how to hack. My cousin got this guide to hacking, so im just curious.

oh yeah Imacs suck

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighter-X
    Hey I heard Linux was the best thing for hacking into places or people, do any of you think this is true??? If so tell me how to hack. My cousin got this guide to hacking, so im just curious.

oh yeah Imacs suck
    What a joker!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    excellent guide helped me allot

it looks like mandrake or suse for me

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Current version:
    -Mandrake Linux 9.2
    The current ver is 10.1

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast