Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp

Can anyone have some good software/tips for cleaning Windows XP? My system is getting slower and slower and it's getting on my nerves.

Cheers
    Fidel

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    check the pinned spyware and adware topic, you should maybe check your antivirus is up to date while you're at it.
    For tweaking if you want to stop services and/or processes theres a list of common ones, why you might need them and what they do at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Originally posted by ilw@1 April 2004 - 13:11
    check the pinned spyware and adware topic, you should maybe check your antivirus is up to date while you're at it.
    For tweaking if you want to stop services and/or processes theres a list of common ones, why you might need them and what they do at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^Thats pretty much will cover it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    h1
    Run Diskkeeper. Click on the word "Utilities" in my sig.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Robert00000's Avatar Interweb Fantasist BT Rep: +1
    the best solution is to back up your data and re-format the hard drive, thats the best way of getting rid of all the crap.
    Robert00000

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Defrag.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by shn@1 April 2004 - 22:58
    Defrag.
    agreed

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    1.) Uninstall all the crap and software that you really do not need or use on a consistent basis. Crap that seems to want to have processes that run at start-up.

2.) Add RAM.

3.) Deframentation is great. However not with anything XP has by default, IMO. I think running Speed Disk straight from the CD is a better choice.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    i use a program called uwclean, its easy to use , just 1 click and it cleans 6 areas all at once

never had a problem with it , its cool get version 8 , it dont need cracking or anything

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Start>run>msconfig>click the startup tab>disable whatever isnt needed. DONT DISABLE VIRUSSCANNER OR FIREWALL THOUGH.

Then disable system restore by going to properties of my computer>system restore tab>click turn off for all drives...

Now disable teh system restore service and indexing service. start>run>services.msc>find indexing service>rdouble click it, then go to stop, then finally disable it from starting up in that same window. next find system restore and do the same (stop, disable)

Now run spyware scanner, antivirus scanner, and finally defragment. I recomend using diskeeper for defragmenting.

Now go to C:\windows\prefetch and delete everything in this folder (dont worry everything which is needed will come back after a restart, but the unneeded stuff being gone will make startup faster)

And almost forgot, download bootvis (can be found on kazaa lite or other p2p programs or even just online) and run that (you gotta open it and find optimize system somewhere in it). It will restart your computer a couple times and will make startup go faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast