Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas (petrol) Prices

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I have recieved an e.mail today from a friend living in England...just a basic letter really about life in general and one of the things in it was about petrol (gasoline) prices going up and them being at the level that sparked the blockades of the refineries.
    It kind of bought home something to me as i watch the news here and see the complaints about our gas prices being at an all time high..the national average is $1.74 per gallon....that's about 90 pence in English.....in the uk it's nearly $7 per gallon and heres the really funny part... something in the region of 80% of the uk price is tax...wait for it...then they pay 17.5% purchase tax on the tax
    Sometimes i feel warm all over that the grass isn't alway greener on the other side of the fence (mind you where i live it always is as we only get about 1 inch of rain a year )

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 00:48
    I have recieved an e.mail today from a friend living in England...just a basic letter really about life in general and one of the things in it was about petrol (gasoline) prices going up and them being at the level that sparked the blockades of the refineries.
    It kind of bought home something to me as i watch the news here and see the complaints about our gas prices being at an all time high..the national average is $1.74 per gallon....that's about 90 pence in English.....in the uk it's nearly $7 per gallon and heres the really funny part... something in the region of 80% of the uk price is tax...wait for it...then they pay 17.5% purchase tax on the tax
    Sometimes i feel warm all over that the grass isn't alway greener on the other side of the fence (mind you where i live it always is as we only get about 1 inch of rain a year )
    Yeah and dont we know it, theres a saying round here for things like that...."rip-off-britain".

I hate this country .

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    yeah, at the moment im paying about 76.9p a litre for diesel here in bonnie scotland.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by vidcc@2 April 2004 - 01:48
    If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by J'Pol@1 April 2004 - 17:14
    If you think cheap petrol is recompense for living in a land of Philistines then good luck to you mate.
    if you READ (and don't try to tell me that what i wrote wasn't what i wrote) you will note that it said it bought home about the complaints i see on the news about our high prices (when it's a lot worse elsewhere)

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by vidcc@1 April 2004 - 20:04

Just get over it......if this was ment to be a serious post i would have put it in the talk club
    Or World News and Events.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by shn+1 April 2004 - 18:19--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (shn @ 1 April 2004 - 18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vidcc@1 April 2004 - 20:04

Or World News and Events. [/b][/quote]
    oh come now...i wouldn&#39;t want to give an excuse for posting a light hearted topic in world news to be flamed

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Go Diesel

like you say petrol has gone way over the top,
    I Use old chip fat oil, filter it, then add 3ml of white spirit per 100ml of oil, Leave it for two weeks, and hey Presto.
    Don&#39;t use it in new vehicals.

You can buy a new Ltr of veg oil for 49 pence or go to your lacal chip shop and have a deal.
    The idiosyncratic syntax of riddles interests me

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by CELEBS_ARE_US@2 April 2004 - 08:39
    Go Diesel

like you say petrol has gone way over the top,
    I Use old chip fat oil, filter it, then add 3ml of white spirit per 100ml of oil, Leave it for two weeks, and hey Presto.
    Don&#39;t use it in new vehicals.

You can buy a new Ltr of veg oil for 49 pence or go to your lacal chip shop and have a deal.
    i&#39;m sure there are a few teenagers on the board that could provide us with enough "oil" to turn that into a profitable concern....we could collect the crude off their faces while they sleep and refine it ourselves (we would need to filter out any blackheads ) ....sell at half the price of gas (petrol) or diesel and we can take over the market

10. Lounge   -   #10
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    OMG that&#39;s such a rip off&#33;&#33;&#33;

Gas prices in Canada are outrageous enough. Today being Friday, the price of gas has gone up to about &#036;0.85/L (3.86L to a gallon).

So being bored, I did a little math...

1 gallon - &#036;3.28 CDN = &#036;2.50 USD = 1.36 GBP (couldn&#39;t remember the keyboard shortcut for the symbol )

And I thought we were being gouged.

I heard this somewhere, and I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s true or not, so don&#39;t hold me to it - that the price of a barrel of crude oil is roughly the same now as it was 20 years ago. And yet 20 years ago, the price of gas here was ~ &#036;0.30/L (If memory serves).

Just a bit of useless trivia - I do remember the day I got my drivers license, the price of gas was &#036;0.45/L. I remember this because my first car, a 1969 Chevelle, cost me about &#036;35 to fill, and I recall thinking that independence was going to be expensive. :helpsmile:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast