2 4.35%
  • I'm not American but I would like John Kerry to be elected

18 39.13%
  • I'm not American but I don't want either to win

7 15.22%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: American Election Poll

BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    The military is practically bending over backwards not to harm civilians in Iraq. And I have yet to see where American soldiers line up innocent Iraqi people and slaughter them just for the hell of it. Perhaps you may have seen the news where AMERICAN soldiers were executed in Falluja. The body's were desecrated and dragged through the streets.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Poster
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@4 April 2004 - 17:15
    The military is practically bending over backwards not to harm civilians in Iraq. And I have yet to see where American soldiers line up innocent Iraqi people and slaughter them just for the hell of it. Perhaps you may have seen the news where AMERICAN soldiers were executed in Falluja. The body's were desecrated and dragged through the streets.
    I'm talking about in Texas

Oh, also, perhaps you might have seen the footage where Saddam was shown on TV after his arrest, breaking the law
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Are you referring to the death penalty?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Poster
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@4 April 2004 - 17:23
    Are you referring to the death penalty?
    Yes
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    The criminals that are sentenced to the death penalty have been convicted by a court of law, beyond a shadow of doubt that they have committed a crime so gruesome that they are sentenced to death. They are sentenced to death for a crime that they committed, not for their religious beliefs.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Poster
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@4 April 2004 - 17:45
    The criminals that are sentenced to the death penalty have been convicted by a court of law, beyond a shadow of doubt that they have committed a crime so gruesome that they are sentenced to death. They are sentenced to death for a crime that they committed, not for their religious beliefs.
    So, innocent people are NEVER sentenced to death then?

How many american states have a child death penalty?

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    I'm not saying that it isn't possible but it is unlikely.

There isn't a state where a child can be executed. A person to be executed must be at least 18 years are older in which your are in the laws eyes considered an adult.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Poster
    Originally posted by BigBank_Hank@4 April 2004 - 18:08
    I'm not saying that it isn't possible but it is unlikely.

There isn't a state where a child can be executed. A person to be executed must be at least 18 years are older in which your are in the laws eyes considered an adult.
    Right...so you've just said that they're only sentenced to death "byond shadow of a doubt", then admitted it's possible that they may be convicted and killed if they're innocent. Sound policty there...

"Napoleon Beazley's government executed him on 28 May 2002 for a murder committed when he was aged 17. If he lived in China, or Yemen, or Kyrgyzstan, or Kenya, or Russia, or Indonesia, or Japan, or Cuba, or Singapore, or Guatemala, or Cameroon, or Syria, or almost any other of the diminishing number of countries that retain the death penalty, Napoleon Beazley would not have received the death penalty. But he lived in the United States of America, a rogue state as far as capital punishment is concerned. His government believes that it is above the fundamental principle of international law that no one be subjected to the death penalty for a crime, however heinous, committed when he or she was under 18 years old. As a result, the United States leads a tiny number of countries which flout this prohibition. Within the USA, Napoleon Beazley's home state of Texas - where under 18-year-olds are considered too young to drink, vote, or serve on a jury - is the worst offender.

Texas accounts for 53 per cent (nine of 17) of such executions carried out in the USA since the country resumed judicial killing in 1977. Of the 25 worldwide executions of child offenders in the past 10 years, seven were carried out in Texas. Only Iran comes close to this, with six in the same period. In other words, while Texas has less than half of one per cent of the world's population, it accounts for 28 per cent of the executions of child offenders documented worldwide in the past decade."

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Hank i think you're technically correct, but you can still be sentenced to death as a child, they just wait till your older before flipping the switch, which imo is even more stupid

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGACT500012004

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/juveniles.html

Stop Child Executions!

As a step towards the total abolition of the death penalty around the world, Amnesty International has launched an international campaign calling for an end to the use of the death penalty against child offenders.

GET INVOLVED!

Since 2000, only five countries in the world are known to have executed juvenile offenders: China, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Iran, Pakistan, and the United States. Pakistan and China have abolished the juvenile death penalty, but there have been problems in nationwide compliance with the law
    The United States and Somalia are the only countries in the world that have not ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
    Twenty-one* U.S. states allow for the execution of people who were 16 or 17 at the time of the crime. Out of the 38 death penalty states, 16 have abolished this punishment for juvenile offenders.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Well I have been proven wrong. I didn't think that juveniles were eligible for the death penalty. I thought as ilw stated that if you were convicted that you had to wait until you turned 18. My mistake.

4th gen this is a very interesting topic and I would like to continue it in another thread with you, but I think that we may have strayed a little far from the original thread thought.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast