Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Cards

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    NVIDIA-based Graphics Cards Will Have a Bug in Half-Life 2?

FSAA Cannot Be Enabled
    by Anton Shilov
    07/18/2003 | 03:58 PM

The highly-anticipated Half-Life 2 game will have a major bug with current DirectX 9.0 hardware resulting in impossibility in enabling Full-Scene Anti-Aliasing, a popular feature that dramatically improves image quality in games. Apparently, there is a limitation in DirectX 9.0 and/or DirectX 9.0-compliant hardware that will not allow the function to be enabled on certain graphics cards if the workaround is not found.

According a Valve officials quoted in forums at HalfLife2.net web-site, there are problems with the way that current hardware implements FSAA. If you enable it, you will see a lot of artifacts on polygon boundaries due to the way that current graphics processors sample texture subjects with FSAA enabled.

Valve continued that this is a problem for any application that packs small textures into larger textures. The small textures will bleed into each other if you have multi-sample FSAA enabled.

Currently both leading graphics chips designers use multi-sampling or hybrid multi-sampling + super-sampling methods to for FSAA.

The developers of the legendary Half-Life game said that drivers are not likely to solve the problem, however, it still can be solved for graphics cards based on VPUs from ATI Technologies, such as RADEON 9500-, 9600-, 9700- and 9800-series. As for NVIDIA GeForce and GeForce FX-series, there are practically no chances to find a workaround, according to Valve.

Some industry sources indicated that the problem with such FSAA is a known one and is to be addressed in DirectX 9.1 and next-generation graphics processors with Pixel Shaders 3.0 and Vertex Shaders 3.0, such as ATI Technologies’s code-named R420 and NVIDIA’s code-named NV40 VPUs and derivatives. Both next-generation products will come later than the Half-Life 2 that is expected to be available by October.

*Im not sure if this is old news...but it sucks for nVidia if it is correct. HL2 is taking forever to come out and I dont think it will be that impressive...look at counterstrike graphics...nasty. HL graphics are nasty too. Valve and Sierra have always seemed to make low quality stuff to me.
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    yeh. i remember this. it sounded like they were just being lazy bastards. there's no way that Valve and Nvidia can't find a solution to this-- especially now that the game is delayed indefinitely after that source code leak, they've got all the time in the world to fix it.

as for the "nasty" HL graphics... do you realize how friggin' old HL is now? it was built upon the original Quake engine and released in 1998. for its time, it was actually pretty good. CS is newer, but it's just a Half-Life expansion that uses the exact same graphics engine.

s'kinda funny to comment on the quality of Sierra and Valve games. Sierra are pretty exclusively a publishing company now. they haven't developed their own games since the days of Leisure Suit Larry, SWAT, and Tribes. prior to HL2, Valve has really only developed one game: Half-Life. everything else Valve has released were expansions for HL. they paid Gearbox to produce Opposing Force and Blue Shift; and they bought Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike, Gunman Chronicles and Day Of Defeat from amateur designers.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    ati rules!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Well I have SWAT and it sucks...I have never been impressed with their games much at all. CS has many flaws and ugly as hell interface..but still a fun game. I just havnt been impressed with stuff from valve or siera as i would be from blizzard or ea games

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I think that half life is probably the BEST graphical quality I have EVER seen. I just HATE first person shooter games!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So does this mean it won't play AT ALL, or it will play like shyte, or it will play okay just with no AA?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by adamp2p@3 April 2004 - 19:34
    I think that half life is probably the BEST graphical quality I have EVER seen. I just HATE first person shooter games!
    I dont think the half life games look very good.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Originally posted by bigdawgfoxx+3 April 2004 - 21:39--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigdawgfoxx @ 3 April 2004 - 21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-adamp2p@3 April 2004 - 19:34
    I think that half life is probably the BEST graphical quality I have EVER seen.&nbsp; I just HATE first person shooter games&#33;
    I dont think the half life games look very good. [/b][/quote]
    they dont look very good, but then again they are the best from their times&#33; and if u actually go into the display options and turn everything to full it looks pretty good...

My computer can play UT2K4 on highest settings at 800X600 and according to fraps im geting an average of around 25+ FPS lol. But thats good for an mx 440 IMO lol

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    WOX's Avatar L.A VAMPIRE HERO
    man this sux i want to play cool hl2 with my fx 5200.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by WOX@4 April 2004 - 03:21
    man this sux i want to play cool hl2 with my fx 5200.
    Erm...you&#39;ll have a hard time playing HL2 on a 5200 without AA never mind with AA
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think &quot;Ok, this is the limit&quot;.
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast