Thread: New Computer? Need Good Software?

BANNED
    Hi guys,

Ever wonder after you reformat or buy a new computer what essential software you should get once you get the compter to keep it running smotth? Well then this is the guide for you. Here it goes:

The Essential software guide

Antivirus

First off, one of the most important things that you need to get on your computer is a good antivirus software. Antivirus softwares protect your computer from malicious code designed to ruin your computer. There are many different types out there that you can get free or buy. I will now list some good av and where to find them.

The best bet:

Nod32 antivirus

Nod32 is probably the best av out there. It has a great detection/repair rate and is not a resource hog.

Other av softwares include:
    Avg (recommended)
    Norton antivirus 2004
    McAfee av (good)

Firewall

What is a firewall? Well to explain simply, a firewal is used to protect your computer from harmful things that can be sent to open ports in your computer (ie:a trojan virus) Think of your house, now without a firewall, it is like leaving all the doors leading outside of the house wide open while your sleeping or on vacation. With a firewall, all those doors are locked and closed so no intruders can get in.

Best bet:

Sygate personal firewall (free)
    Out of all the firewalls, this one is the one that I trust most. It is versatible, lightweit and easy to configure. Even the most inexperienced computer user will find this easy.

Others:

Tiny personal firewall
    Peer guardian

Spyware/Adaware

Your computer running slower than normal lately? it may be because of spyware/ad-ware. I will not explain what it is because Sharedholder has posted a nice guide on it HERE

Best Bet

Spybot s&d
    Spybot is a beautiful little program designed to detect and eliminate spyware. Free and versitle makes this a great program.

Others
    -Ad-aware

Disk Defragmentor

As you work and save files on your comp, You store them on your hard drive. After a while sometimes your hard drive begins to put pieces of data all over the place in no organization, making your hard drive take longer to read the files resulting in disk fragmentation. Fragmentation makes your computer a lot slower and therefore just to load even ms word will take a long time. To prevent this you must get a defragmentor, a program that will let you place all the pieces together, making it faster to load.

Best bet
    -Diskeeper lite
    Diskeeper lite is diskeeper 8 home edition minus some extra features. It is very fast and powerful. If you ever need to do a quick defrag somewhere, then this is the program to get.

Others:
    -Diskeeper home/pro
    -Perfect disk

Other programs

Programs listed here are not considered essential, but they will help you out in the long run.

Winamp

Winamp is probably the best media player software out there. It supports many audio types and streaming media. Plugins also spice it up to make it more fin.

Star downloader

Got a 56k connection that disconnects you frequently so you can't resume downloading? or are you looking to speed up your download rate? the look no more. Star downloader is an excellent free downloading program that contains no spyware or adware. *A must for 56k users*

Mozilla Firefox

The most advanced and best browsers ever. It supports tabbed browsing, plugins, and more. It is also an extremly fast browser and is usually 50% faster than the standard ie one.

Kl Codec pack

-Wondering why you can't open that .mpeg or video file? well it probably because you don't have an video decoder. A video decoder can read the varios formats of movie files and will play them nicely on your computer.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    If you're going to produce a totally subjective guide, would you at least say things like "this is what you need, in my opinion", or "this is best, in my opinion"
    On a given day or given circumstance, you think you have a limit.
    And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit and you think "Ok, this is the limit".
    As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further.
    With your mind power, your determination, your instinct and the experience as well, you can fly very high.

- Ayrton Senna, R.I.P.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    BANNED
    k, thx for the tip

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Gee you have the links too, thank you . Good job

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I like ZA better than Sygate personal firewall

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by xxxSHARExxx@3 April 2004 - 23:26